Has anyone been to the Cape Verde Islands ?

We hate the UK winter so much we try to get away for a week or two. Since our son was born it`s been Tenerife rather than South Africa or Cuba though !

However, it hasn`t been that warm (and the sea is a bit chilly....) in Tenerife for the last 2 holidays we`ve been on so we were considering going to the Cape Verde Islands which are further south.

Has anyone else been there and what did they think ?

Is it suitable for taking a child of three ?

Is there any problem with stomach problems and stuff like that ?

Is it the kind of place you can hire a car ?

Are there plenty of fish to see when swimming ? I`m sure out little lad would love to see them !

I went to Sal a few years ago and loved it.

If you like exploring though it's not for you. It was mostly a hotel based holiday as there was not much else on the island. It was a Riu hotel and I couldn't fault it, the food and drinks were fantastic.

The beach and sea were very clean but had security guards at either end of our part to stop the locals coming on it. I was told they would either steal or badger you to buy trinkets.

We did a jeep excursion to see some of the island but there really wasn't much. Stopped of in one small village and got bombarded with kids begging and was told to get in the jeeps quick when some of the adult males started congregating.

If I could get another holiday for the right price I'd go back, it's ideal to relax if you stay in the hotel.

I agree with Sheffvlad, a nice place but nothing to do. More ideal for couples. We also went on the jeep safari, very flat landscape & passing through what could only be called shanty type villages.We stayed at the Riu and found it a very nice hotel, the staff couldn't do enough for you.Whenever we went into the town we were immediately hassled by the locals wanting to give you the grand tour, in other words get you into their friends & relatives shops. It became so bad we jumped in a taxi & came back. All In all we'd like to go back as the place has an appeal about it that we like.

A friend of mine uses it as a stop on his regular crossings to and from the Caribbean with ocean sailers. He doesn't like it very much, complains about the locals always looking to rip you off, but I suppose when you captain a million dollar vessel it makes you an easy target. (It is his job, not his boat!)

85% from desalination in 2010, according to p14 of this interesting report.

We went to Sal in May and had a great time.

There is always a breeze so be careful with the sun as you don't realise how hot it is.

I thought the water was 100% desalinated as there isn't any natural water bases on the island. Bottled water is provided at all times for drinking.

I would imagine that a 3 year old would pretty much be content with the pool and the beach maybe although there was a children's club in the hotel we stayed in for children of all ages.

I agree that there isn't much to go out and see on the island but the fishing pier where all the local fish is landed is well worth a visit although not for those with a delicate stomach as all the fish is gutted on the pier.

We would definitely go again. On the taxi ride off the plane the driver asked us what the weather in Britain was like when we left. When we told him it was raining he said '........ it never rains in Cape Verde' !

My OH tells me the best place to snorkel is near to the above mentioned pier as many fish come for a feed on the waste produced when gutting the landed fish.

Edited by Daven

I went to Sal a few years ago and loved it.

If you like exploring though it's not for you. It was mostly a hotel based holiday as there was not much else on the island. It was a Riu hotel and I couldn't fault it, the food and drinks were fantastic.

The beach and sea were very clean but had security guards at either end of our part to stop the locals coming on it. I was told they would either steal or badger you to buy trinkets.

We did a jeep excursion to see some of the island but there really wasn't much. Stopped of in one small village and got bombarded with kids begging and was told to get in the jeeps quick when some of the adult males started congregating.

If I could get another holiday for the right price I'd go back, it's ideal to relax if you stay in the hotel.

Ditto and very breezy,2 riu hotels so mix and match,nice to chill for a week.

• 3 weeks later...

We`re thinking of going to the Melia Tortuga (Santa Maria). Has anyone been to that ? It`s got 2 bedroom apartments which would be great as we have a three year old, he can have his own room ! Does anyone know how easy it is to buy stuff for a three year old in Santa Maria ? Is it safe to go out into Santa Maria in the evening and are there plenty of places to eat ? I don`t suppose anyone has swum in the sea at the Melia Tortuga ! If they have are there many fish to see ? Our three year old would love that !