Poor migrants from Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan

the honeymoon period in Europe will end in the next few weeks, will be interesting to see what happens whatever your view.

I just hope it leads to a 'No' vote in the referendum and we get out and put Europe behind us.

Let 'em get on with screwing themselves over.

I'm not doubting life wasn't better...but was your experience solely because we were out of the EU or possibly just because it was better pre-1975?

From what I understand there was massive inflation around that time and it was hard to get on the housing ladder, the oil crisis. It wasn't the best of times for the steel works or manufacturing etc either.....

The massive inflation was in the eighties and the housing ladder was acceptable to get onto, the oil crisis was in the seventies but I cannot recall to many problems but in that period I was driving into Europe quite regular and I personally never came across shortages of fuel.

The problems seemed to be more of a concern after Mrs. Thatcher came to power in 79 but we were in the EEC then.

My youngest was born in 70 and through out the seventies we always had 2 holidays a year so it was later when living standards changed. I cannot recall much of a financial strain until the eighties but that is only my personal experience other people may have different memories and views of that period

So you are simultaneously saying that your ancestors come from Ireland whist denying that you have a Irish Heritage. Are you winding me up?

I see.

I have a surname that's Irish in origin and that's it.

I'm English and proud to be so.

So now you are saying that you have an Irish heritage, but you don't have a foreign Irish heritage? :hihi: Are you a comedian?

What's my heritage or ancestry got to do with the subject anyway?

The UK is going to be very different in 50 years time and I'll be sad to see it.

RickyM. I get what you're saying, your family came here before independence therefore it was part of the UK. It seems a bit difficult for some to grasp.

Part of my family moved here from another part of the UK about 1900 and I would never regard myself as anything but English, unlike a lot of third generation descendants of immigrants.

RickyM. I get what you're saying, your family came here before independence therefore it was part of the UK. It seems a bit difficult for some to grasp.

Part of my family moved here from another part of the UK about 1900 and I would never regard myself as anything but English, unlike a lot of third generation descendants of immigrants.

You make my point perfectly, thank you.

I realised I was wasting my time with the other user but sometimes it is worth a try.