Poor migrants from Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan

Is Syria not acting within its own laws by declaring conscription/military service dodgers to be criminals?

I did my national service in France in 1996-1997. Just after I got married in the UK, off I went for 12 months, under military jurisdiction. Had I not showed up, South Yorkshire's finest would have hauled me on a extradition warrant. And if SY's finest could not nab me fast enough (-to the French military court's taste), a couple of Foreign Légionnaires would have eventually showed up for the same purpose on the doorstep on some fine morning.

When I was at uni in the late 1990s, a few of my friends had deferred their national service. A Greek friend who was doing his Masters was despondent that his deferral was coming to an end. Conscription was part of their countries laws, so their citizens had to abide by them.

My understanding of the situation in Syria was that Assad's officials/security services were acting above the law without fear of reprisal, arbitrarily detaining dissidents and criminal suspects and holding them incommunicado whilst subjecting them to torture.

When I was at uni in the late 1990s, a few of my friends had deferred their national service. A Greek friend who was doing his Masters was despondent that his deferral was coming to an end. Conscription was part of their countries laws, so their citizens had to abide by them.

My understanding of the situation in Syria was that Assad's officials/security services were acting above the law without fear of reprisal, arbitrarily detaining dissidents and criminal suspects and holding them incommunicado whilst subjecting them to torture.

You should read the link I posted.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/why-syrians-support-bashar-al-assad/5405208

4 millions of them?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not excusing Assad's record of human rights abuse where political dissidents are concerned. It's on a par with Saddam's and Gadhafi's and it's long, long been the way of the world in these parts (and others: our esteemed commercial partners the Saudis and Qataris are far from role models themselves in that respect).

But let's stick to comparing apples with apples here, if you don't mind. Else I may have to remind you about Bomber Harris' tactics in Germany.

Edited by L00b

The problem comes when we are forced to be tolerant of the intolerant and intolerable. This is not going to be a happy ending, and I hope the hand-wringing brigade will be on the receiving end of some of it, because they will have ruined this country.

---------- Post added 07-09-2015 at 21:07 ----------

I also wanted to add to this that the BBC has one again outdone itself with its completely biased, left wing coverage of the migrant crisis. Everything from the shameless use of a photo of a dead child (whose parents reportedly put him on to a boat to flee.... Turkey), and the majority of images depicting women and children (despite over 80% of the migrants being healthy young men), to the complete one sided analysis that has not once taken into account the effects of the incoming flood of migrants to the host nations and its citizens. A definite pro-migration agenda from a supposed impartial, publicly funded broadcaster.

It's not pro-migration. Every evening when I watch all the news channels I see the same thing and that is people going through unimaginable hardship. The news has also provided a pretty well balanced view of the impact on potential host nations too.

The picture of the dead child was used everywhere. Not just the BBC

4 in 5 refugees are women and children http://donate.unhcr.org/international/womanalone/

One article hidden away on the news website does not redress the balance against the daily dose of several pro-migrant articles, TV news reports and radio broadcasts. Furthermore, BBC shutdown all chance to comment on migrant articles all of last week until Cameron caved in, after which they suddenly deemed it safe to allow public opinion of the vast majority (as opposed to the vocal minority) to be posted online. For the one article that was open to comment it goes without saying what opinion was being expressed by all the top rated comments.

I much prefer Sky and ITV where their reporters celebrate with High Fives and loud cries of YESSSSS!!!...........whenever a capsized boat is spotted,try them,they sound more to your taste.

Our forefathers fought against German aggresion in Europe twice in the 20th Century. to protect this country against foreign invasion and gave their lives to protect future generations. The young men who are trying to gatecrash/burgle/invade europe should be sorting their own country out in the same way.

This is really a different topic to the above and should really have its own thread.

Actually I did start a different topic on this, but the mods appear to have merged it with this one.

4 millions of them?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not excusing Assad's record of human rights abuse where political dissidents are concerned. It's on a par with Saddam's and Gadhafi's and it's long, long been the way of the world in these parts (and others: our esteemed commercial partners the Saudis and Qataris are far from role models themselves in that respect).

But let's stick to comparing apples with apples here, if you don't mind. Else I may have to remind you about Bomber Harris' tactics in Germany.

All Bomber Harris did was to take the allied policy of total war to it's extreme. If we need to cast a critical eye it would be over that total war policy. I personally understand judging the situation of those times, why total war was being waged. Off topic though and I apologise.

The 4 million refugees now are obviously now obviously fleeing the three sided civil war that is waging, and not Assad. My point with bringing Assad earlier was in relation to a comparison of our lads fighting the Axis in WW2, and the refugees fleeing the area now.

It's not pro-migration. Every evening when I watch all the news channels I see the same thing and that is people going through unimaginable hardship. The news has also provided a pretty well balanced view of the impact on potential host nations too.

The picture of the dead child was used everywhere. Not just the BBC

4 in 5 refugees are women and children http://donate.unhcr.org/international/womanalone/

Laughable isn't it...a bunch of demented morons wielding machetes and all manner of weapons with a zest to butcher, and dick heads on here shout..'turn around like wot we did in the secund werld wor'.

Syrian schoolteachers, practitioners, academics, shopkeepers, roadsweepers..just like us, our neighbors or our friends running for their lives with their children. One could be mistaken for thinking that those that spend a lot of time on here are more in fear of their dole money being squeezed by the 'swarthy complexioned ones' rather than any empathy for a plight which is almost unimaginable..