Poor migrants from Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan

I'm impressed. That is very magnanimous of you. Genuinely I'm impressed.

Things have changed a lot. I really hadn't comprehended the sheer number of people on the move.

The camps if funded properly will be safer. What needs to happen is well is a concerted effort to make Syria safe for return.

Lastly, it became clear that there were a lot of Pakistani refugees arriving in Europe. If Pakistani Christians need refuge from persecution IMO we should be taking them directly from Pakistan rather than lleaving them to the mercy of traffickers.

Things have changed a lot. I really hadn't comprehended the sheer number of people on the move.

The camps if funded properly will be safer. What needs to happen is well is a concerted effort to make Syria safe for return.

Lastly, it became clear that there were a lot of Pakistani refugees arriving in Europe. If Pakistani Christians need refuge from persecution IMO we should be taking them directly from Pakistan rather than lleaving them to the mercy of traffickers.

The whole thing is a clusterflunk. I don't see how we can absorb so many people. We didn't have the balls to sort out Syria when we could have done.

The Germans are right though, the Eastern European states need to take their share, but they are about as tolerant as muslims. (joke!)
The Eastern European states are right to remind Germany about the Dublin Regs II, and to tell Merkel to go take a long running jump: why should they, or any other State for that matter, be made to pay for Merkel's breakage? Especially when she's now backtracking under full steam?

Merkel behaved like a tinpot dictator with trampling the Dublin Regs II back in late August (illegally) and now suspending its Schengen obligations and closing the borders in a hurry (legally...;) @ Harrystottle).

She's showed who wears the EU trousers far too clearly (if there was any need to remind all and sundry who does) and that's going to do rippling damage beyond any proportion both here in respect of the British sentiment about the EU, and throughout the EU itself as is increasingly the case with the courses of action followed come-what-may by Hungary, Macedonia and others.

Germany's current attempts at blackmailing EE states about discontinuing EU infrastructural funding will fan those flames quite nicely. The Europhobes and nationalists can't be believing their luck, after the farcical procrastination over the Greek bailout of only two months ago.

The EU rules of the club are what they are: surely if you're generally pro-EU, you'd condemn Germany's current behaviour? That doesn't prevent you from empathising with the refugees and their plight...but Merkel and German are currently doing more damage to the institution than the refugee flows themselves.

This crisis could yet unravel the EU faster than a Grexit or Brexit ever could. Come to think of it (and as I've been scratching my head about it for 2 weeks), that might be Merkel's end game.

Much like I1L2T3's opinion has slowly changed/changed a little about mass migration flows, mine is slowly changing about the EU. All against my current best interests as that may be.

Edited by L00b

@I1L2T3 - it is interesting to read of your slight change in thinking. There may be a lot more people with the same experience. I feel dreadfully sorry for all of these people but we cannot risk destabilizing and changing the face of Europe.

The people from these countries tend to be quite fecund and the culture is to have large families, more so when they resettle in new, and better countries. Within one generation the children of the immigrants could increase the population markedly. If they integrate well then this is less of a problem but we know from experience in many European countries that this is not always the case and that divisions can, and do remain. No country can be expected to integrate such vast numbers of people. Many will remain a financial and moral burden on the host nation for the rest of their lives.

This crisis has made us all examine our consciences and many of us find ourselves lacking, especially those of us who believe that we are compassionate. We have tough choices to make but I firmly believe that we must not destabilize our own countries because that is doing no one any favours, be it immigrants or the indigenous population.

Why did Britain need the help of others in WWII? :rolleyes:

Because, despite our British (English to you :hihi: ) lads fighting the enemy, they were really quite strong and disciplined. If we'd just run away and capitulated to the Germans (in either war), I'm not sure the Yanks would have helped us out. GOD bless Winston Churchill. :love:

Because we didn't have enough young men. What they didn't do is jump on a boat to America. Well, some did probably but you get the gist. Who are they leaving behind though and to what fate?

I've been trying to think what I would do? And I can't see me abandoning my wife/children/father/sister to a marauding force. I think I'd stand and fight.