Rotating Spit Doner Kebab Meat

What happens to that huge rotating piece of brown stuff in the kebab shop window when the place closes? Surely it is too hot to put directly into the chiller, is it just left on the vertical spit and warmed up again the next the day? I sincerely hope I'm wrong!!!

Kebab shop i used few years ago. let the log cool then rap it in clinging film then put it in chest freezer.

when its on the spit then thing is frozen solid and furs as its cooked

But what are the basic constituents of Turkish ones? Is it just offal and mechanically rendered meat which could not be sold separately?

---------- Post added 09-08-2015 at 00:20 ----------

And what happens to it when the shop is closed? Nobody seems to be able to answer that one?

I saw a programme where they visited a big kebab factory somewhere near Leeds I think. Owned by a Turk. They skewer decent thin slivers of lamb meat with a sliver of fat every so often. All quite decent stuff. Who knows what goes into the meat paste type.:gag:

Kebab shop i used few years ago. let the log cool then rap it in clinging film then put it in chest freezer.

when its on the spit then thing is frozen solid and furs as its cooked

I'm not discounting this theory altogether, but a frozen kebab pillar, 2ft high and 1ft wide is going to take some cooling down, probaby 7-8 hours before it could be safely put into a freezer? If it is frozen surely it can't be thawed and refrozen the next day, day after that and so on?

I'm convinced many of the unscrupulous just let it cool on the spit and warm it up the next day relying on the amount of alcohol their customers have consumed before entering the takeaway that they are going to be ill the next day anyway . Many of these operators trade on the edge of the trading standards law and I can't imagine they are too concerned about drunks getting food poisioning from their take away food.

Just a thought!!!

You should try the ones in Turkey, no oil or grease at all.

I have been going to Turkey for 6 years (2-3 times a year) not eaten a kebab in England since my first trip.

Try the ones in Turkey? New to me, I didn't know they did Turkey Kebabs.:hihi:

I'm not discounting this theory altogether, but a frozen kebab pillar, 2ft high and 1ft wide is going to take some cooling down, probaby 7-8 hours before it could be safely put into a freezer? If it is frozen surely it can't be thawed and refrozen the next day, day after that and so on?

I'm convinced many of the unscrupulous just let it cool on the spit and warm it up the next day relying on the amount of alcohol their customers have consumed before entering the takeaway that they are going to be ill the next day anyway . Many of these operators trade on the edge of the trading standards law and I can't imagine they are too concerned about drunks getting food poisioning from their take away food.

Just a thought!!!

sounds like you already know your answer to your question and trying to talk everybody else into it

sounds like you already know your answer to your question and trying to talk everybody else into it

it sounds like a perfectly rational conclusion to me. how long do you think it would take to cool down, freeze and then rethaw and recook a 2 foot high foot diameter chuck of meat between opening times? never mind that repeatedly recooking and refreezing the same chunk of "meat" must contravene almosrt every hygene requirement.

"The Dutch television programme, Keuringsdienst van Waarde, analyzed doner kebab sandwiches advertised as lamb and found out that only one of them contained 100% lamb meat, while most consisted of mixes of lamb and beef. Some consisted of 100% beef, chicken, turkey or pork."

Edited by drummonds

You should try the ones in Turkey, no oil or grease at all.

I have been going to Turkey for 6 years (2-3 times a year) not eaten a kebab in England since my first trip.

They are delicious. Nothing like the awful ones here. Well worth eating and fairly healthy.