State ownership of companies

I have bought shares over the years, so I know that they go up, as well as down. I would say that I have made a profit over the years.

Jeremy Corbyn suggests that the state should buy a controlling stake in the big six energy companies.

How long would it take for the dividends to value more than the initial costs?

A very long time, so the countries debt would increase.

I agree that if you own companies, just as if you own shares, when you sell them off your gain is only short term.

Just renationalise. Any profit should be put back into the business instead of the pockets of shareholders. Dividend payments represent a leak of money from services into the pockets of private individuals....which just lead to increased costs for the service users...and more profits for the private individual.

Competition doesn't work either...Stagecoach and First put their fares up by the same amount at the same time. You can't choose which 10.20 train from Sheffield to Liverpool is the cheapest because there is only one option. You switch electricity supplier one week and the new one puts their price up. Privatisation works. But not for customers.

You switch electricity supplier one week and the new one puts their price up. Privatisation works. But not for customers.

Why not just have one electricty company to start with, why do you need more than one that is state owned, if they offer similar prices.

I have owned shares for over 5 years, and never even got one tenth back in dividends, so the country would by in debt even more, for years n years.

I have bought shares over the years, so I know that they go up, as well as down. I would say that I have made a profit over the years.

Jeremy Corbyn suggests that the state should buy a controlling stake in the big six energy companies.

How long would it take for the dividends to value more than the initial costs?

A very long time, so the countries debt would increase.

I agree that if you own companies, just as if you own shares, when you sell them off your gain is only short term.

There's decent competition for energy.

Not only do we have a choice of supplier, we also have some choice of fuel beyond electricity.

There's a lot of over-regulation, you know from other threads where it comes from and I don't want to hijack this one.

Nationalised industries have an extremely unimpressive history in the UK and the world as a whole.

We'd never get the money back. We'd be lucky if we didn't destroy the companies.

Edited by unbeliever

Why not just have one electricty company to start with, why do you need more than one that is state owned, if they offer similar prices.

I have owned shares for over 5 years, and never even got one tenth back in dividends, so the country would by in debt even more, for years n years.

Quite.

Competition doesn't work.....but private monopoly's don't either. Best have a nationalised company where all profits go back into the business not private individuals.

Quite.

Competition doesn't work.....but private monopoly's don't either. Best have a nationalised company where all profits go back into the business not private individuals.

Ahem. British Leyland.

---------- Post added 09-08-2015 at 18:45 ----------

How's the value of your shares? You know you can sell them.

The railways would be better off back in state ownership, the only thing privation has done is make train travel too expensive to use which is a real shame as I would prefer to travel by train more than bus but the costs are too high. But I doubt it would ever happen.

The railways would be better off back in state ownership, the only thing privation has done is make train travel too expensive to use which is a real shame as I would prefer to travel by train more than bus but the costs are too high. But I doubt it would ever happen.

You do know, don't you that the track is already nationalised and that the track is the whole problem with the current system.

Just renationalise. Any profit should be put back into the business instead of the pockets of shareholders. Dividend payments represent a leak of money from services into the pockets of private individuals....which just lead to increased costs for the service users...and more profits for the private individual.

If you're paying into a pension your fund would suffer if they were nationalised, and if you're receiving one (private) you, and others, will be benefiting from the dividends paid. There is also the question of who will invest into those nationalised industries.

I think there are good arguments for the renationalisation of the utilities , railways and nursing homes . We don't want to go back to the bad old days of British Leyland which should not occur with good management made much easier nowadays as consequence of modern technology .

Anyone claiming unemployment benefit, then could be made to do one day a week labour in these renationailsed industries . For example the water companies could use this extra labour to help keep drains and ditches unblocked a task which nowadays no organisation seems to accept responsibility for .