State ownership of companies

That's more than I get and I've been working in the same job for 12 years with a PhD.

all the more evidence the pay scale is out of whack. some dentists nhs, get 250k i believe.

---------- Post added 10-08-2015 at 15:34 ----------

Maybe she was more senior. Maybe she had London money added on. Maybe she was lying, it's not like the Jeremy vine show is the last bastion of journalistic integrity - I'm amazed they get the name right in the jingle.

But she did say £40k. It stuck with me because it was higher than I thought.

maybe she was senior, a sister?

I dont think its that high tbh for a senior, experienced position.

I dont think nurses are paid well at all.

all the more evidence the pay scale is out of whack. some dentists nhs, get 250k i believe.

---------- Post added 10-08-2015 at 15:34 ----------

maybe she was senior, a sister?

I dont think its that high tbh for a senior, experienced position.

I dont think nurses are paid well at all.

I consider my work to be more useful in a moral sense than similar work in the private sector, which is why I tolerate reduced pay and conditions.

I would have expected nurses to take the same attitude.

I don't strike, and I've never belonged to a union. The way I look at it, if I don't like my job I can always quit.

That's more than I get and I've been working in the same job for 12 years with a PhD.

She was probably working in London (getting London weighting) and probably a ward sister given that level of pay.

In fact, all the pay bands and scales are easily available online.

---------- Post added 10-08-2015 at 15:50 ----------

Maybe she was more senior. Maybe she had London money added on. Maybe she was lying, it's not like the Jeremy vine show is the last bastion of journalistic integrity - I'm amazed they get the name right in the jingle.

But she did say £40k. It stuck with me because it was higher than I thought.

http://www.rcn.org.uk/support/pay_and_conditions/pay-rates-2015-16

Top increment of Band 7

http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/explore-by-career/nursing/pay-for-nurses/

Band 7, 1 level below the very top possible for a nurse (matron or nurse consultant).

Regular, fully qualified nurse as you think of a ward nurse, band 5, top pay £28,000

Edited by Cyclone

I consider my work to be more useful in a moral sense than similar work in the private sector, which is why I tolerate reduced pay and conditions.

I would have expected nurses to take the same attitude.

I don't strike, and I've never belonged to a union. The way I look at it, if I don't like my job I can always quit.

what about doctors and dentists?

i cant see how anyone can justify a 10 times PLUS pay gap between a front line nurse or paramedic making potentially life saving decisions and a dentist.

I know doctors and dentists train for a long time at big expense but nurses are still paid too little in comparison. Both work long hours in similar conditions in A&E.

If we want to retain health care professionals surely we should offer more of an incentive?

NHS dentist making £400,000 a year?

Just more government propaganda that you've fallen for.

It's a long degree to become a dentists (longer than a Dr I think) and this is the NHS pay

Salaried dentists

Salaried dentists employed by the NHS, who work mainly with community dental services earn a basic salary of between £38,095 and £81,480.

Consultants

Consultants in dental specialties are paid on the same scales as other hospital consultants and earn a basic salary of between £75,249 and £101,451 per year dependent on years of seniority in the consultant grade. Local and national Clinical Excellence Awards may be awarded subject to meeting the necessary criteria.

So more like 2 to 3 times a nurse.

i cant see how anyone can justify a 10 times PLUS pay gap between a front line nurse or paramedic making potentially life saving decisions and a dentist.

I know doctors and dentists train for a long time at big expense but nurses are still paid too little in comparison. Both work long hours in similar conditions in A&E.

If we want to retain health care professionals surely we should offer more of an incentive?

GPs and dentists are essentially private contractors to the NHS. Have been since it was founded.

A mixed system again. Neither state nor private. And of course a mess results.

I think youre being a little harsh on paramedics and nurses. They train too, need professional degrees and are skilled.
So do any number of other professionally-qualified and skilled technicians. I wasn't being harsh, just objective.

Is it because they are in the healthcare provision sector that they deserve more?

When are you going to suggest veterinary nurses get upped to £50k because they treat cute fluffy bunnies? ;)

I think you'll find doctors know less that you think about patient care, often the nurses know more than doctors from what I understand by first hand information.
Different knowledge. I expect that a doctor's will be potentially life-saving more frequently than a nurse's, without detriment to a nurse's experience and acquired knowledge.

We owe our daughter's life to a very young (mid to late 20s at the most) Australian A&E paediatrician doctor who had the graveyard shift (03:00) in Dublin in 2006 (IIRC). There were 5 matron(ly) nurses in the room with us lot at the time, with easily 100+ years' worth of cumulative paediatrician experience between them. They'd never seen the condition before. Unsurprising, considering the infection rate (1-in-half-a-million or some similar stupidly rare stat). He'd recently read about it as part of his CPD. Lucky for us.

Edited by L00b

Of course they should. Care workers should get more than they should, it's an awful job.

All you have to do is write to George osbourne and tell how much more tax you'd like to pay (and everyone else as well) or how much more you'd like a litre of fuel to be (double? More?) and we could all have the NHS of our dreams. In fact, if we brought care homes and social care in general into the mix we'd probably end up working for them!

So do any number of other professionally-qualified and skilled technicians. I wasn't being harsh, just objective.

Is it because they are in the healthcare provision sector that they deserve more?

When are you going to suggest veterinary nurses get upped to £50k because they treat cute fluffy bunnies? ;)

Different knowledge. I expect that a doctor's will be potentially life-saving more frequently than a nurse's, without detriment to an experienced nurse's experience and acquired knowledge.

EMT's and paramedics deal with life threatening decisions and are highly trained healthcare professionals. As do nurses. Both higher education qualified professionals.

Ask any qualified and experience nurse what goes on, dont take my word for it.

any nurses in the house?