State ownership of companies

There is the point...

Would you prefer to be treated by a nurse who you knew loved his/her job, or one who might be doing it for the money. Maybe nurses should be underpaid?

Underpaying them causes chronic staff shortages. I'd rather be treat by a nurse that isn't over worked and demotivated.

I think the freelance nature of GPs and Dentists should be dealt with.

Either nationalise them, or put the whole NHS on the same footing.

I'm not suggesting for one second that NHS treatment should charged for at the point of use. As demonstrated by GPs, you don't have to nationalise something completely to avoid that. It's just not obvious that hospitals have to be fully nationalised if GPs and Dentists don't.

---------- Post added 11-08-2015 at 10:08 ----------

I'd agree in general.

What should be cut to raise the money?

The NHS budget is £113.3billion. About 40% of that is staff costs.

If you want to increase pay by say 50% for the majority of the staff, you need about £23billion.

I suppose we could just have 33% fewer nurses and doctors, that way we could pay the ones who were left 50% more.

We waste 3.7bn on trident. 30bn in unpaid taxes.

If the nhs is important to us we can find more money somehow.

---------- Post added 11-08-2015 at 10:21 ----------

Underpaying them causes chronic staff shortages. I'd rather be treat by a nurse that isn't over worked and demotivated.

Me too. Good point.

---------- Post added 11-08-2015 at 10:32 ----------

Unibeliever, why double wages? Why not bring more into line with teachers? Say 25k to start?

That would attract more higher calibre graduates into the profession who might otherwise go elsewhere.

An answer involving the word "somehow" is not very helpful.

Every country has unpaid taxes. If you have a plan to recover them I think everybody would like to hear it.

Trident is a drop in the ocean and if you kill it you'll have to replace it with stronger conventional forces which are more expensive.

How about we kill the BBC (£4billion in license fees) and HS2 (>£50billion).

---------- Post added 11-08-2015 at 10:35 ----------

Unibeliever, why double wages? Why not bring more into line with teachers? Say 25k to start?

That would attract more higher calibre graduates into the profession who might otherwise go elsewhere.

Do teachers start on £25k without the extra postgraduate degree (PGCE/PGDE)?

Also, a 50% increase is not a doubling. That would be a 100% increase.

Edited by unbeliever

An answer involving the word "somehow" is not very helpful.

Every country has unpaid taxes. If you have a plan to recover them I think everybody would like to hear it.

Trident is a drop in the ocean and if you kill it you'll have to replace it with stronger conventional forces which are more expensive.

How about we kill the BBC (£4billion in license fees) and HS2 (>£50billion).

The government is looking at ways to increase funding for the nhs. Its already put 750million a side to chase tax avoidance plus closing loopholes.

Trident could easily be scrapped...lots of ways to redistribute money.

Trident is what Britain brings to the NATO table. Without NATO we'd all have to live at the mercy of the Russians and the Chinese. I'd feel uneasy about that.

Sack a few more public sector pencil pushers. Few more billion in the bank.

---------- Post added 11-08-2015 at 10:53 ----------

Trident is what Britain brings to the NATO table. Without NATO we'd all have to live at the mercy of the Russians and the Chinese. I'd feel uneasy about that.

We will never use it. Waste of money.

When labour get in, corbyn will scrap it.

That may be true, but nurse shortages are due to the lack of training place. I dont know any nurses, but I think that is true.

Sack a few more public sector pencil pushers. Few more billion in the bank.

---------- Post added 11-08-2015 at 10:53 ----------

We will never use it. Waste of money.

I think you'll find that selecting Corbyn as leader and "getting in" are incompatible.

Are we to have no military capability to contribute to the common defence of the west at all? As I pointed out before, conventional forces are more expensive than Trident.

Are we to have no military capability to contribute to the common defence of the west at all?
Judging by the consensus seemingly developing in the UK about the EU, refugee-migrants, PIIGs and more such issues pervading 'the west', i.e. to draw up all the bridges, have nothing left whatsoever to do 'in common' indeed and gaze intently at one's national bellybutton instead, that's an easy logical step ;)

More money attracts higher calibre candidates. Id rather be treated by a higher quality nurse or taught by a better teacher.

so you'd pay them more and employ less of them?

---------- Post added 11-08-2015 at 11:37 ----------

when labour get in corbyn will be long dead and buried.