State ownership of companies

The point really isn't about the terrorists. The point is if another state takes us on they cannot escalate things more than we can. They know that.

As for depending on USA for guidance etc. they are our friend. One of our closest allies and the major world power. A good friend to have, we should continue to be friends and stand to "our round" at the bar of world politics.

The point really isn't about the terrorists. The point is if another state takes us on they cannot escalate things more than we can. They know that.

As for depending on USA for guidance etc. they are our friend. One of our closest allies and the major world power. A good friend to have, we should continue to be friends and stand to "our round" at the bar of world politics.

Quite right.

It get's us membership of NATO,

Not only that, but it also makes us one of only 5 permanent members of the United Nations Security Council. The power of a permanent members' veto is as powerful as any nuke.

Edited by Eric Arthur

Do you seriously think that there is zero nuclear threat from organisations like ISIS and Al-Qaeda? I'm amazed to be honest that they haven't tried some form of dirty bomb or a full scale nuclear IED already. They really are not difficult to build.

i think some idiots imagine that should the threat from russia escalate we could build a fleet of nuclear submarines and missiles to counter that threat in the 3 minutes it took their missiles to arrive.

Do you seriously think that there is zero nuclear threat from organisations like ISIS and Al-Qaeda? I'm amazed to be honest that they haven't tried some form of dirty bomb or a full scale nuclear IED already. They really are not difficult to build.

the atomic bomb Little Boy, dropped on the Japanese city of Hiroshima during the Second World War, had an energy yield of around 15 kilotons, killing as many as 80,000 people instantly. Therefore, a single warhead in a Trident II D5 missile has the destructive power equivalent to over six Hiroshimas at once.

Who you going to aim a 100 kiloton weapon at? Pakistan? Syria?

You really havent thought it through have you?

---------- Post added 12-08-2015 at 12:39 ----------

i think some idiots imagine that should the threat from russia escalate we could build a fleet of nuclear submarines and missiles to counter that threat in the 3 minutes it took their missiles to arrive.

I really can't believe the level of stupidity on this thread.:loopy:

the atomic bomb Little Boy, dropped on the Japanese city of Hiroshima during the Second World War, had an energy yield of around 15 kilotons, killing as many as 80,000 people instantly. Therefore, a single warhead in a Trident II D5 missile has the destructive power equivalent to over six Hiroshimas at once.

Who you going to aim a 100 kiloton weapon at? Pakistan? Syria?

You really havent thought it through have you?

---------- Post added 12-08-2015 at 12:39 ----------

I really can't believe the level of stupidity on this thread.:loopy:

So if a terrorist group heavily sponsored by, let's say Iran, sets off a nuclear weapon in one or more UK cities, killing a few million of our people and devastating our economy. What should we do?

Strongly worded letter to the UN perhaps?

Who's really being stupid?

In case you're wondering, I'd be for promptly turning Tehran into glass.

None of these are nice thoughts, but brinkmanship is the way these things work. If you're not honestly prepared to retaliate proportionately then all the worst people in the world will end up running it.

Edited by unbeliever

So if a terrorist group heavily sponsored by, let's say Iran, sets off a nuclear weapon in one or more UK cities, killing a few million of our people and devastating our economy. What should we do?

Strongly worded letter to the UN perhaps?

Who's really being stupid?

In case you're wondering, I'd be for promptly turning Tehran into glass.

None of these are nice thoughts, but brinkmanship is the way these things work. If you're not honestly prepared to retaliate proportionately then all the worst people in the world will end up running it.

First of all, terrorist groups dont have those capabilities.

Wouldnt it be more efficient to target ISIS etc themselves rather than unleashing hell and killing millions of innocent people with a nuclear weapon?

First of all, terrorist groups dont have those capabilities.

Wouldnt it be more efficient to target ISIS etc themselves rather than unleashing hell and killing millions of innocent people with a nuclear weapon?

They don't appear to have that capability right now. It's only a matter of time.

These extremist groups will continue to exist in one form or another until the supporting states are dealt with. Hopefully it will never come to a nuclear exchange, but you have to prepare for the worst as a deterrent.

The threat of nuclear retaliation protects us from nuclear or similar attack. You have to be prepared to retaliate in kind for the deterrence to work.