State ownership of companies

Thank you, you've saved me trawling through over a dozen pages of nonsense.

I have to agree with TJC1.

Nobody's gonna nuke us.

We haven't needed a nuclear deterrent since the Russkies fell like dominos a couple of decades ago.

Anybody who thinks we still need one in this day and age, should join me in the cellar.

Nobody has nuked us because they know they would be nuked in return. Its a stalemate. But if we do away with ours and they don't then there is no stalemate, they'll have the upper hand on us, they'll have carte blanche to do as they please, blackmail us, even attack us, do you see?

Even if the non NATO states did away with there nukes also, so no one had them.....great yeah? well no because it wouldn't take long before a more conventional tank/jetfighter/warship/ground troop ww3 would take place.

Mutually assured destruction is the main thing that has prevented a ww3 in the past 60 years. Sad but true.

Edited by Hots on

Nobody has nuked us because they know they would be nuked in return. Its a stalemate. But if we do away with ours and they don't then there is no stalemate, they'll have the upper hand on us, they'll have carte blanche to do as they please, blackmail us, even attack us, do you see?

Even if the non NATO states did away with there nukes also, so no one had them.....great yeah? well no because it wouldn't take long before a more conventional tank/jetfighter/warship/ground troop ww3 would take place.

Mutually assured destruction is the main thing that has prevented a ww3 in the past 60 years. Sad but true.

Sorry for the delay in replying, I'd forgotten I can't get a good wireless signal in the cellar.

Right, I agree with you that until the Soviet Union fell nukes kept a relative peace between Us and Them.

If the Russkies, Le French or Ze Germanese got a bit uppity, we could always threaten to nuke Moscow, Paris or Berlin.

Problem we have now is, where are our enemy's headquarters?

Unless we're gonna nuke the entire Middle and Far East, all the way from Mauritania on the left to Japan on the right, where and how will we nuke ISIS? or ISIL? Or even ESIS (the militant SNP) ?

And Trident isn't gonna stop an invasion of these shores. We're currently being invaded from Northern France, and our nukes have provided zero deterrent.

And why would anybody invade us? We have no strategic assets. Our North Sea oil is running out. All we're good for is a tax-haven for Russia and Africa's most corrupt and greedy politicians (another reason why they won't nuke us)

Sorry for the delay in replying, I'd forgotten I can't get a good wireless signal in the cellar.

Right, I agree with you that until the Soviet Union fell nukes kept a relative peace between Us and Them.

If the Russkies, Le French or Ze Germanese got a bit uppity, we could always threaten to nuke Moscow, Paris or Berlin.

Problem we have now is, where are our enemy's headquarters?

Unless we're gonna nuke the entire Middle and Far East, all the way from Mauritania on the left to Japan on the right, where and how will we nuke ISIS? or ISIL? Or even ESIS (the militant SNP) ?

And Trident isn't gonna stop an invasion of these shores. We're currently being invaded from Northern France, and our nukes have provided zero deterrent.

And why would anybody invade us? We have no strategic assets. Our North Sea oil is running out. All we're good for is a tax-haven for Russia and Africa's most corrupt and greedy politicians (another reason why they won't nuke us)

We've discussed this.

The terrorists have state sponsors. Nuke them.

I see that you also suggest that the UK will never again face the threat of foreign invasion. I think you've picked the right handle for yourself.

Edited by unbeliever

We've discussed this.

The terrorists have state sponsors. Nuke them.

I see that you also suggest that the UK will never again face the threat of foreign invasion. I think you've picked the right handle for yourself.

You're suggesting we nuke Edinburgh?

Why not, the SNP hate us as much as ISIS do.

And yes, I'm right about the lack of invaders to these tiny, insignificant islands. Other than a bunch of economic migrants currently trying to sneak onto lorries heading through the channel tunnel, who would invade us. And more crucially, why?

You're suggesting we nuke Edinburgh?

Why not, the SNP hate us as much as ISIS do.

And yes, I'm right about the lack of invaders to these tiny, insignificant islands. Other than a bunch of economic migrants currently trying to sneak onto lorries heading through the channel tunnel, who would invade us. And more crucially, why?

You can't throw together a national defence in a few weeks you know.

Who would have thought in the early-mid '30s that we'd suddenly come under threat of invasion from Germany, a country we'd given a good thrashing to less than 20 years earlier. What did we have in 1939 that we don't have now?

You have to be prepared. The only reason we're not under threat from Russia is that we trade with them and they've lost interest. How long will that last? I have no idea. Maybe it's gone for good, maybe not. We're not getting on well right now.

I have no idea where the next the next threat of invasion will come from, but it would be the height of folly to suggest that you know it won't come, or that if it does come we'll have time to make adequate preparations from a standing start.

I'm sorry, but you're just talking FUD and conjecture.

If you truly believe that Russia is gonna invade us, or that ISIS and ESIS are 45 minutes away from detonating a dirty bomb in London, then please, come join me down in me cellar.

Anybody else wanna join us?

I'm sorry, but you're just talking FUD and conjecture.

If you truly believe that Russia is gonna invade us, or that ISIS and ESIS are 45 minutes away from detonating a dirty bomb in London, then please, come join me down in me cellar.

Anybody else wanna join us?

The world is a chaotic place. There's no real international law and no real rules.

There are plenty of powerful leaders out there with no conscience and by the time you realise that a threat is there, it's too late to build up a defence if you don't already have one.

In such a situation, with no outside force to enforce any kind of justice, it is better to have a gun and not need it than to need one and not have it.

We got caught with out pants down in the '30s and that cost a hell of a lot of lives and was nearly the end of us.

A wise man does not repeat a mistake.

The world is a chaotic place. There's no real international law and no real rules.

There are plenty of powerful leaders out there with no conscience and by the time you realise that a threat is there, it's too late to build up a defence if you don't already have one.

In such a situation, with no outside force to enforce any kind of justice, it is better to have a gun and not need it than to need one and not have it.

We got caught with out pants down in the '30s and that cost a hell of a lot of lives and was nearly the end of us.

A wise man does not repeat a mistake.

Your argument is sound and I will concede defeat at this point and bow out gracefully.

Since we obviously can't trust any other country on earth, I suggest that as soon as the Trident replacement is online and we have the capability to launch a nuclear first-strike from our submarines, we should nuke every country from Mauritania up to and including Japan.

I'll be in the cellar until the nuclear fallout subsides.

Your argument is sound and I will concede defeat at this point and bow out gracefully.

Since we obviously can't trust any other country on earth, I suggest that as soon as the Trident replacement is online and we have the capability to launch a nuclear first-strike from our submarines, we should nuke every country from Mauritania up to and including Japan.

I'll be in the cellar until the nuclear fallout subsides.

Thank you. You are most gracious for conceding and I honestly respect that.

As to your cellar. You'll be down there a long time. The half-life of some of the fission products is thousand of years.

As to your cellar. You'll be down there a long time. The half-life of some of the fission products is thousand of years.

That's what I thought, but according to some doom-mongers on here, Iran can hide nuclear weapons from UN observers complete with monitoring and detection equipment in under 24 days.

I'll last longer than that in me cellar.