State ownership of companies

Ahem. British Leyland.

I do not believe in renationalisation, but the British Leyland Motor Corporation should be sited as a failed private company, BL started off in 1968, it was created by merging struggling private companies. It did not get into difficulties because of nationalisation, it was already in difficulties.

It was in difficulties because of poor management and bad practices, this was country wide, not just an aspect of the new nationalised BL.

I think stop at energy, water and rail / transport. I worry about reinvestment. Our railway is old and requires updating.

Isnt that one reason they site for privatisation, lack of investment; yet we have really old rolling stock after years of being run privately.

I think stop at energy, water and rail / transport. I worry about reinvestment. Our railway is old and requires updating.

Track and infrastructure investment still has to come from the government though.

And Northern rail are still running trains built from the carcasses of buses about 40 years ago...

Isnt that one reason they site for privatisation, lack of investment; yet we have really old rolling stock after years of being run privately.

If it runs at a positive, and plans to reinvest. All for nationalizing railway.

Subsidy. We were still paying. But now we pay through the bills rather than the taxes.
Was talking to my step sister in law this weekend, who is an NHS nurse.

Now that I've seen with my own eyes the kind of deals and discounts NHS employees get from all sorts of goods and services suppliers (local, national, retailers, <etc.>) with my own eyes, it appears the taxpayer is subsidising through both bills and taxes.

F***ed off does not even begin to approximate my feelings about it all. Next NHS bod I see or hear crying about their 1% pay rise should get a reality check and a hard slap. Most taxpayers don't get 60% off airport parking charges :mad:

Track and infrastructure investment still has to come from the government though.

And Northern rail are still running trains built from the carcasses of buses about 40 years ago...

True. Its a bit hazy where the revenue will be generated.

---------- Post added 10-08-2015 at 09:54 ----------

Now that I've seen with my own eyes the kind of deals and discounts NHS employees get from all sorts of goods and services suppliers (local, national, retailers, <etc.>) with my own eyes, it appears the taxpayer is subsidising through both bills and taxes.

F***ed off does not even begin to approximate my feelings about it all. Next NHS bod I see or hear crying about their 1% pay rise should get a reality check and a hard slap. Most taxpayers don't get 60% off airport parking charges :mad:

60% ??? How??? Wtf!

Most large employers offer such benefits. I'm working at an SME now (on the larger end), an email came around earlier reminding people about employee benefits, including reduced airport parking specifically.

The NHS is a huge employer, they can easily negotiate a package of discounts like airport parking. It doesn't cost the taxpayer (or anyone) anything. The company offering the discount expects to generate increased revenue by vastly increasing the odds of NHS staff using their company instead of the competition.

Copied from the PDF

Lifestyle Discounts

Huge Discount for you!

Never pay full price again…..

• Online voucher cards

• Shopping vouchers

• Reloadable cards

• Discount cinema tickets

• Promotions

Most large employers offer such benefits. I'm working at an SME now (on the larger end), an email came around earlier reminding people about employee benefits, including reduced airport parking specifically.
The existence and principle of it is not news to me. At all. The scale of it for NHS employees is news to me.

The NHS is a huge employer, they can easily negotiate a package of discounts like airport parking. It doesn't cost the taxpayer (or anyone) anything. The company offering the discount expects to generate increased revenue by vastly increasing the odds of NHS staff using their company instead of the competition.
Really?

So, who do you think provides these discounting companies with the lion's share of their profits, then?

Who makes up for the 60% loss of revenue from certain (potentially a significant number of, given the sheer scale of the NHS as an employer) customers?

Same with leased cars, same with groceries shopping, same with insurances, same with leisure activities, same with restaurant chains, on and on the list goes.

60% ??? How??? Wtf!
Look it up, Google is your friend. Be warned: it's very hard to keep the green-eyed monster in check as you go down that rabbit hole. Certainly puts a whole new perspective on pay rise demands, when you consider the potential sum total of such discounts on discretionary and non-discretionary expenses. Edited by L00b

I'd suggest that the 60% saving is from the RRP. And that in reality most of the car parking space is probably sold much cheaper than that.

It allows them however to tell the NHS staff that they've got a MASSIVE saving, when in reality they might be getting a little saving (or maybe even none at all).

It's a private company offering the discount, they do so in the hope of increased revenue, if it didn't work, they'd stop offering it.

https://ldt.lifestylehub.co.uk/login.php

Not sure if that is an internal site, it's one linked to by the company I'm currently working for. Ah, this would appear to be the public unbranded version;

https://www.lifestylehub.co.uk/login.php

Amusingly, despite me not being an employee, it's allowed me to join.

46% off AA membership...

40% off cinema tickets

10% off at GAP

8% off at RiverIsland

I'm 100% sure that this company is not paying anyone for these benefits.

---------- Post added 10-08-2015 at 10:20 ----------

Ooh, 10% off at Boots and House of Fraser. My OH would probably appreciate a discount at boots.