State ownership of companies

i agree there are some bloated salaries at the upper end of the scale.

But nurses aren't underpaid??? paramedics?

its a bone of contention - how can you even put a value on vital services?

You figure out how much it would cost to train and employ replacements.

If you can't recruit good enough staff, you're not paying enough. If you can, you're fine.

there there are public servants who get expenses. why shouldnt other public sector workers get expenses too? or at least perks?

Everybody gets expenses if they're justified in the performance of their job.

I used to get sent all over. I'd collect receipts, hand them into my employer, then a couple of months and some arguing later, I'd probably get the money back.

Nobody is expected to pay for things that their work requires them to do out of their own pocket. If your jobs does not require you to pay for things for your work, why would you still get expenses?

An obvious exclusion applies for the matter of getting to and from your primary workplace.

Edited by unbeliever

You figure out how much it would cost to train and employ replacements.

If you can't recruit good enough staff, you're not paying enough. If you can, you're fine.

thats why nurses are leaving the nhs and moving to places like australia.

---------- Post added 10-08-2015 at 15:12 ----------

Everybody gets expenses if they're justified in the performance of their job.

I used to get sent all over. I'd collect receipts, hand them into my employer, then a couple of months and some arguing later, I'd probably get the money back.

theres a range in the public sector though? some get more, some get less.

I honestly think some salaries and expenses are bloated but on the whole those at the lower end get properly shafted.

in this respect i dont begrudge them getting other perks like free parking, gym membership or whatever at the publics expense.

As harsh/uncaring/etc. as this may sound, no, they're not. They have a demanding job, but it is a technician's job.

The professional buck doesn't stop with them, it stops with the qualified doctor, who knows more than them, supervises them and puts his professional livelihood on the line with potentially every decision he/she makes, and accordingly gets paid more.

Edited by L00b

thats why nurses are leaving the nhs and moving to places like australia.

---------- Post added 10-08-2015 at 15:12 ----------

theres a range in the public sector though? some get more, some get less.

I honestly think some salaries and expenses are bloated but on the whole those at the lower end get properly shafted.

in this respect i dont begrudge them getting other perks like free parking, gym membership or whatever at the publics expense.

I work in the public sector and I don't get these things.

My employer even charges me to park at work.

its a bone of contention - how can you even put a value on vital services?

I listened to Jeremy vine one day a year or so back (he's going on the next strictly if you hadn't heard already) and he had an A&E nurse on justifying strike action and she said she was £40k a year.

I listened to Jeremy vine one day a year or so back (he's going on the next strictly if you hadn't heard already) and he had an A&E nurse on justifying strike action and she said she was £40k a year.

That's more than I get and I've been working in the same job for 12 years with a PhD.

As harsh/uncaring/etc. as this may sound, no, they're not. They have a demanding job, but it is a technician's job.

The professional buck doesn't stop with them, it stops with the qualified doctor, who knows more than them, supervises them and puts his professional livelihood on the line with potentially every decision he/she makes, and accordingly gets paid more.

I think youre being a little harsh on paramedics and nurses. They train too, need professional degrees and are skilled.

I think you'll find doctors know less that you think about patient care, often the nurses know more than doctors from what I understand by first hand information.

---------- Post added 10-08-2015 at 15:28 ----------

qualified nurses have a starting salary of 21k.

---------- Post added 10-08-2015 at 15:29 ----------

I work in the public sector and I don't get these things.

My employer even charges me to park at work.

it was just an example. the point is if we wish to retain good staff then its worth it.

I think youre being a little harsh on paramedics and nurses. They train too, need professional degrees and are skilled.

I think you'll find doctors know less that you think about patient care, often the nurses know more than doctors from what I understand by first hand information.

---------- Post added 10-08-2015 at 15:28 ----------

qualified nurses have a starting salary of 21k.

Maybe she was more senior. Maybe she had London money added on. Maybe she was lying, it's not like the Jeremy vine show is the last bastion of journalistic integrity - I'm amazed they get the name right in the jingle.

But she did say £40k. It stuck with me because it was higher than I thought.