Pre decimal money

10 Park Drive was the same price as a pint, when I started drinking around1962 i.e. 1/5d I thing they stayed at that( around the same price) level for a few more years. I know because I never bought 20 packs in those days, just 5's and 10's.

Packs of 5s I remember them, Park Drive, Woodbine's came in that size. Around 1969 I used to buy John Player Navy Cut (maybe for a shilling) from the only place that I knew sold them in 5s then, the Marples off-sales on the Fitzalan Sqaure corner.

Edited by stpetre
Add

I still talk in old money! Going decimal in money and measurements, particularly gallons to litres, effectively doubled prices straight away.

I worked in Ireland when they went to the Euro and pretty much the same thing happened, everything got rounded up !

Packs of 5s I remember them, Park Drive, Woodbine's came in that size. Around 1969 I used to buy John Player Navy Cut from the only place that I knew sold them in 5s then, the Marples off-sales on the Fitzalan Sqaure corner.

Talking of Fitzalan Square, I did the street view tour on google recently, not a pub in sight, between the Penny Black on Pond Street and what used to be the Bull and Mouth on Castlegate. The Square is full of betting shops and moneylenders, like another world. lol

Talking of Fitzalan Square, I did the street view tour on google recently, not a pub in sight, between the Penny Black on Pond Street and what used to be the Bull and Mouth on Castlegate. The Square is full of betting shops and moneylenders, like another world. lol

Yes right Mr.T done similar 'tours'. Wonder if you did the same 'Google tour' past the Wicker on to Attercliffe Road and so on, what would be the next pub one came across. the 'Station' near Worksop Road? I heard that re-opened.

10 Park Drive was the same price as a pint, when I started drinking around1962 i.e. 1/5d...
Yes, I seem to remember that 10 Park Drive or Woodbines cost about that price in the early 1960s, but cigarettes have still increased in price much more than beer as 'Hillsbro' noted, no doubt due to higher taxation. I suppose that if the Chancellor didn't raise money from tobacco duty it would have to come from elsewhere, so we shouldn't complain (especially non-smokers!)

I often think of the things we could buy for an (old) penny in the 1950s - a local bus ticket (a child could travel about a mile for a penny), a big Trebor chew (or two smaller 'Black Jacks') or a stick of liquorice root. For 2d you could buy a small packet of KP peanuts or a similar packet of KP tiger nuts. Come to think of it, what happened to tiger nuts?:confused:

Yes, I seem to remember that 10 Park Drive or Woodbines cost about that price in the early 1960s, but cigarettes have still increased in price much more than beer as 'Hillsbro' noted, no doubt due to higher taxation. I suppose that if the Chancellor didn't raise money from tobacco duty it would have to come from elsewhere, so we shouldn't complain (especially non-smokers!)

I often think of the things we could buy for an (old) penny in the 1950s - a local bus ticket (a child could travel about a mile for a penny), a big Trebor chew (or two smaller 'Black Jacks') or a stick of liquorice root. For 2d you could buy a small packet of KP peanuts or a similar packet of KP tiger nuts. Come to think of it, what happened to tiger nuts?:confused:

I could be wrong, but wasn't it FOUR Black Jacks or Fruit Salads for a penny?

My Dad once told me how to work out the old money, it got me so confused it seemed to be very confusing I just glad it changed to pounds and pence and would be struggling for sure. Iv got a few coins of the old money one has Queen Victoria on it.

If you can work out feet and inches, you can do shillings and pence. it's the same. For example, 80 inches equals 6' 8" and eighty pence was 6s and 8d (6/8) but shillings to pounds is another matter. Decimal currency is definitely easier.

Could well be - the old memory ain't what it was. :P I do remember that the small hard 'Spanish' liquorice sticks were two for a penny, and Barratt's sherbert fountains were twopence. :)

Good old Spanish juice as my granddad called it.

---------- Post added 11-08-2015 at 10:09 ----------

Did tiger nuts go the way of the monkey nuts lol? Or are peanuts still called monkey nuts?