Mobile mot test?

The law says you can drive to and from an MOT station, and to and from a place of repair, the latter not necessarily on the same day, without tax or test. These visits must be pre-arranged.

The law also says you can't drive an unroadworthy car on the road, so if you get nicked in the above circumsatnces it's up to the copper who stops you what happens.

There is provision for an MOT tester to prohibit a seriously unroadworthy car from being driven on the road, but he can't stop you from having it recovered from the testing station. If someone drives a prohibited car from an MOT the tester will most likely call the police, if only to cover his own back.

I'm not sure about the insurance position, but I would say if you knowingly drove an unroadworthy car you wouldn't be covered*, but if a car crashes due to say a brake fault that develops on a journey you would be covered.

* I think there's an obligation on the insurance company to provide 3rd party cover in this case, even if the policy is fully comp.

There is provision for an MOT tester to prohibit a seriously unroadworthy car from being driven on the road, but he can't stop you from having it recovered from the testing station. If someone drives a prohibited car from an MOT the tester will most likely call the police, if only to cover his own back.

You got a link to this information? As far as I'm aware an MOT tester does not have the power to stop someone driving away in their just failed (dangerous) car, advise not to yes, but not stop them. As for covering their own back it would be flagged on the fail as dangerous anyway, there is that facility when entering test results.

No.

I was given a red notice on an MOT some years ago (c1975) and I'm sure it said I mustn't drive it. This would have been well before VOSA was setup.

It seems that VOSA/DVSA inspectors (as opposed to MOT testers) and certain police officers are the people who issue prohibition notices.

You got a link to this information? As far as I'm aware an MOT tester does not have the power to stop someone driving away in their just failed (dangerous) car, advise not to yes, but not stop them. As for covering their own back it would be flagged on the fail as dangerous anyway, there is that facility when entering test results.

I have known MOT centres that also carry out work scare female drivers into getting work done by not allowing them to take their own car home after a failure thus forcing them to get work done there and then, as far as I know they cannot do that.

I have known MOT centres that also carry out work scare female drivers into getting work done by not allowing them to take their own car home after a failure thus forcing them to get work done there and then, as far as I know they cannot do that.

No they can't but what a lot of people don't know is that there is an appeal process that is there to be used in situations like that. If your car fails on something you think it shouldn't have or passes on something it shouldn't have just ask the test station for a VT17 appeal form if they are having your pants down this will sort it.

The fee is also refundable if you win the appeal.

More info http://www.gov.uk/government/publications/complain-about-an-mot

Edited by Dardandec
Added Link

I'm pretty sure if driving without an MOT it has to be to your nearest mot station too pre arranged, not one 15 miles away unless that is the nearest one :hihi: insurance has to be valid yes definitely.

The relevent legislation mentions nothing about distance. You can drive it to any MOT station you wish - aslong as its pre-booked. The vehicle still has to be in a road worthy condition, you can still be done if you get stopped by the police/vosa and any faults are found - which is exactly the same as if you had an MOT.

No there is not.

You got a link too?

have you got a link that says you must use the nearest MOT station?

This is an email I got from the DVLA

"Dear Mr *****

Thank you for your email received on 18/9/14. Your email reference number is ******.

It may help if I explain that there are certain circumstances when you can legally drive an untaxed vehicle or one that has been made SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) on the public highway, providing you have valid insurance. I can confirm that this still applies after the 1st October 2014.

to a pre-booked MOT test and home again

to and from a garage for required remedial work to be undertaken following the failure to pass an MOT test, providing this is pre-booked

The journey to the MOT must be completed without any breaks.

I trust this reply meets with your approval."

No mention of distance.

The trouble with appealing is that you can't do any work on the car until it's been examined, so you could end up without a car until the appeal has been dealt with.

have you got a link that says you must use the nearest MOT station?

This is an email I got from the DVLA

"Dear Mr *****

Thank you for your email received on 18/9/14. Your email reference number is ******.

It may help if I explain that there are certain circumstances when you can legally drive an untaxed vehicle or one that has been made SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) on the public highway, providing you have valid insurance. I can confirm that this still applies after the 1st October 2014.

to a pre-booked MOT test and home again

to and from a garage for required remedial work to be undertaken following the failure to pass an MOT test, providing this is pre-booked

The journey to the MOT must be completed without any breaks.

I trust this reply meets with your approval."

No mention of distance.

The trouble with appealing is that you can't do any work on the car until it's been examined, so you could end up without a car until the appeal has been dealt with.

No I haven't and thanks for the information, believe it or not I'm not trying to catch anybody out :)

This too with no mention of distance.

"If the MOT has run out

You can’t drive your vehicle on the road if the MOT has run out. You can be prosecuted if caught.

The only exceptions are to drive it:

to or from somewhere to be repaired

to a pre-arranged MOT test".

http://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/when-to-get-an-mot

Edited by Dardandec
Added Info