New minimum wage £9

Why cannot people realise the difference between the National Minimum Wage (statutory) and the Living Wage (wish-list)?

George Osborne has made it unclear by calling the minimum wage, the living wage; should the Tory press use Osbornes description and call it the living wage, or call it what it actually is - the minimum wage?

If you want to suggest that they should get a share of the profits, then you're the one that has to explain why. I don't have to explain why they aren't entitled to a share (although I did already do so).

I didnt say they should.

---------- Post added 16-08-2015 at 14:52 ----------

Why cannot people realise the difference between the National Minimum Wage (statutory) and the Living Wage (wish-list)?

Jeff, this is my point all along. In no way shape or form is this the living wage. Merely an extension of NMW.

I work for a global business that is based in britain, employs most of it's employees here with most of them falling into the low/no skills or qualifications required bracket.

Two days ago we were informed by the powers that be that they would be reducing the amount of money spent on payroll on each business site. This is in preparation for the increase in NMW. The aim is to lose enough people through natural wastage (& make up the deficit through training/technology/simplification) to absorb the cost without having to make any extra investment in pay.

There's two strings to this:

The increase in hourly rate for the majority of no/low skill labour.

The increase that would need to be made to low/middle management salary in order to make the jobs attractive (stop people from stepping down to the same pay for less work & business being left with no supervisors).

The job losses are already starting.

I work for a global business that is based in britain, employs most of it's employees here with most of them falling into the low/no skills or qualifications required bracket.

Two days ago we were informed by the powers that be that they would be reducing the amount of money spent on payroll on each business site. This is in preparation for the increase in NMW. The aim is to lose enough people through natural wastage (& make up the deficit through training/technology/simplification) to absorb the cost without having to make any extra investment in pay.

There's two strings to this:

The increase in hourly rate for the majority of no/low skill labour.

The increase that would need to be made to low/middle management salary in order to make the jobs attractive (stop people from stepping down to the same pay for less work & business being left with no supervisors).

The job losses are already starting.

Sounds just like what the big boss of Whitbread said in the interview on the wireless I was talking about.

I am not a big fan of this, the UK needs to stay competitive globally and a 9£ minimum wage is going to have a lot of international organisations look around for cheaper alternatives (Ireland anybody?).

Here is an overview of current, relevant, minimum wages as they are currently (Conversion 1E is 0.71£)

Germany: 8,50 Euros - 6,05£ (including NI and pension contributions!)

France: 9,61 Euros - 6,83£

Ireland: 8,65 Euros - 6,15£

Italy: non (collective bargaining arrangement)

Spain: Very low monthly based (around 3£)

Netherlands: 8,70 Euros - 6,18£

Belgium: 9,12 Euros - 6,49£ (important for car manufacturing)

9£ brings the UK to the highest level of minimum wages in the world, in line with Australia and Luxemburg (By that time there will probably be a few more).

Raising the minimum wage is going to increase the black market (Think of cleaners, carers, security etc.) and simply creating a higher median is not going to help, it will just increase the mean and thus the poverty line and hey presto, more people are considered poor because they make just over the minimum wage.

Also, aren't all sorts of benefits linked directly to minimum wage?

The wage figures you are quoting are at todays values but you are comparing with a proposed figure for a uk minimum wage in 2020.

I didnt say they should.

Rightt.... So you keep asking why they shouldn't for no reason then. Good debating tactic.

Jeff, this is my point all along. In no way shape or form is this the living wage. Merely an extension of NMW.

Apart from it being HIGHER than the living wage. Or are you going to keep ignoring that little snippet?