Shops on The Moor c1950

Minimo

My sister and I were discussing shops on The Moor we remembered about 1950 to 1960.

I seem to remember a large empty space fronting The Moor, and set back from it were some shops. For some reason I am thinking they were prefabs. One was Isidore Newman, and my sister thinks mum got her blocks for ballet shoes at a shop there, that had to be 1960 or thereabouts, whereas I am thinking they were there much earlier.

We are getting quite confused now, so I am wondering if anyone knows anything, eg what shops were bombed in the lower part of The Moor (not far from the Locarno) to leave a large gap, and how long before it was built on.

Hi Minimo - I also remember these temporary, single-storey shops near the bottom of the Moor. They included Isidore Newman and I also remember a theatrical supplies./ fancy dress hire shop. They were on the west side of The Moor, between Thomas Street and Young Street. Here are two. links to photos on the picturesheffield.com site showing the shops (click on 'Zoom image' to enlarge). Here also is a scan from the 1964 Kelly's Directory with the names of the shops. The earlier buildings did indeed fall victim to the Blitz - a scan from a 1930s directory shows the shops that were there at that time, and this photo shows the remains of Jack Graham's furniture shop at Nos. 166-168 after the bombing.

The area was redeveloped in 1973.

Thanks hillsbro. I remember getting a jacket from Lewis Leathers on that block. The only others I remember are Isodore Newman and Thorntons. The halcyon days when you could drive straight through town from The Wicker to London Rd

Red Circle library was at the bottom of The Moor, left side going up.
Directories actually show it on the left side going down (that is, the odd-numbered side) at No 233 near the old Brunswick Chapel. This is confirmed by this link to a picturesheffield.com photo.

Directories actually show it on the left side going down (that is, the odd-numbered side) at No 233 near the old Brunswick Chapel. This is confirmed by this link to a picturesheffield.com photo.

Hi Hillsbro

Yes, remember the Red Circle being approx where the Hermitage pub is, can't remember what it's name is at the moment, yes I do, The Scholar. My cousin worked at that particular Red Circle.

I'm sure that once it was situated where I said, think Barney Goodmans was close by.

Somebody will help me out. SHARROVIAN where are you ?

The Moor as many of us will remember was a bit of a mess prior to the start of the redevelopment.

...I'm sure that once it was situated where I said...
Got it. Some time around 1955 the Red Circle Library moved across the road from No. 233 to No. 174, and then the Theatrical Supplies shop moved into No. 174 in c. 1959. Here is a scan from the 1957 directory..:)

Shops I remember on The Moor are two furniture shops - Harrolds (? spelling) and Jays. My dad used to patronise both these shops to buy furniture on hire purchase. With me in tow, he'd go down on a Saturday to make his payments and, whilst there, look round for the next thing to buy. He only ever bought one thing at a time - my favourite was a bureau with glass fronted display cabinets either side and, in the centre, a drop down writing desk with drawers underneath.