Shops on The Moor c1950

Minimo

Shops I remember on The Moor are two furniture shops - Harrolds (? spelling) and Jays...
Hi susie1 - Jay's furniture shop is shown on The Moor in Kelly's directories from the 1950s/60s. I can't find the other shop there, but "Harroll's & Co., house furnishers" were at 56-60 Snig Hill until c. 1972.
...my favourite was a bureau with glass fronted display cabinets either side and, in the centre, a drop down writing desk with drawers underneath.
We also had a bureau (purchased from Jay's). It was a bit like this but with only three drawers and simpler panes of glass.

In what was probably the late 50s or very early 60s, I recall walking with my mum from the market area, with all our shopping, up the (what seemed like never ending and very steep) steps to come out into Fitzalan Square, and then walking to somewhere around the bottom of the Moor, to buy cheap mutton/lamb. We usually got breast of lamb, either as chops or boned for rolling into a stuffed joint, or occasionally a half leg. I think it was New Zealand lamb, but not sure if that is for certain. I think my mum may have said it was, or it's my mind filling in the gaps. But the whole journey is imprinted into my brain as, for a young kid, it was very tiring. Afterwards, we'd walk back up to High Street for our bus home.

I recall the shop being a sort of single storey pre-fab. I know it was on the right going down, but cannot remember where, exactly, as it's all changed so much. It may even have been much further on, into London Road. Also, the shop I remember looked to be more run down than in the photos, so may have been somewhere else.

Does anyone remember it?

we lived on Ecclesall road and used the moor all the time. The shops you are on about were where Atkinsons is now, it was a bomb site when I was young. I remember the Red Circle as my mum used it a lot, there was also a shoe shop where I used to by all my 3inch stilleto's:hihi:

we lived on Ecclesall road and used the moor all the time. The shops you are on about were where Atkinsons is now, it was a bomb site when I was young. I remember the Red Circle as my mum used it a lot, there was also a shoe shop where I used to by all my 3inch stilleto's:hihi:

Hi sheilawragg1,

Was this where you mean at some point? Click on this then click on 'Zoom image' for a bigger pic. :-

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s00225&pos=1&action=zoom&id=4205

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

PeterR

That photo does seem to show the bomb site behind Atkinsons temporary windows. I wonder if I am thinking of a time around 1950-2. I still have the image of the temporary prefab shops which would have been at the back of that bomb site. I'd love to know exactly when Atkinsons Had those windows built. I might try asking them if they have any history of the store.

---------- Post added 16-08-2015 at 19:19 ----------

Well what do you know. A quick google shows they have indeed produced a book. 140 years of their history at 9.95. I'll be getting a copy asap.

Didn't Newman's move to the bottom corner of Fitzallan square,

Just further down from C & A. I seem to remember buying my going away suit for after my wedding in 1960. Long time ago so I could be wrong.

The men's clothier's below the C&A were Dunne's and on the corner just before King Street ,John Collier's, a bit of difference tho' between those two and Isadore Newman.