Shops on The Moor c1950

Minimo

Didn't Newman's move to the bottom corner of Fitzallan square,

Just further down from C & A. I seem to remember buying my going away suit for after my wedding in 1960. Long time ago so I could be wrong.

There was a Newmans just below C&A as you describe. I don't think

it was Isidore Newman though.

Search on Picture Sheffield, for Haymarket. Photo v01992, clearly

shows this.

Edited by bazjea
duplication

There was a Newmans just below C&A as you describe. I don't think it was Isidore Newman though...
Yes, I think it was a different Newman. The shop is shown in directories as "Newmans (Provincial) Ltd. costumiers" at No 77 High Street.

Isidore Newman's is still shown at 170 The Moor in the 1973 directory. At that time the temporary shops were about to be bulldozed to make way for new buildings, and the 1974 directory doesn't show Isidore Newman on the Moor. There was still "M. Newman (tailors)" at 169 London Road and this firm continued to be listed (it had evidently been Isidore's father's business - see below). I have a vague memory of a tailor's shop on Charles Street with the Newman name but I might be mistaken here.

I just delved a little into public records regarding the Newmans. These show that Isidore Newman was born in Sheffield in 1892, the son of a Russian-born tailor, Morris Newman (formerly Neumann) and his wife Sophia. Morris Neumann and Sophia Woolman had arrived from Russia in the 1880s (no doubt having moved to England to escape the persecution of Jews) and they married in Sheffield in 1889. They set up home at 50 Ecclesall Road and a few years later moved to 21 Wadbrough Road, by which time Morris's business had been established at 171 The Moor. Morris and Sophia became naturalised British citizens in 1903, and by the time of the 1911 census they and their five children had moved around the corner to 25 Dover Road. Morris's tailoring business had expanded so that he acquired the shop next door, and it is shown at 171-173 The Moor in directories between 1901 and the early 1930s, then at 175-177 The Moor from about 1934. Morris Newman died aged 71 in 1939, and the following year his shop on the Moor may have been destroyed in the Blitz, as the 1942 directory includes the note "175 & 177 The Moor - NEWMAN M., tailor; removed to 169 London Rd." As for young Isidore, directories from the 1930s show "Isidore Newman, high-class tailor" at 124 The Moor. This shop evidently also fell victim to the bombing, so that Isidore Newman moved to the temporary building at No 170. Isidore had married Beatrice Levi in 1927; their daughter Sylvia was born in 1930. Their private address is shown as 224 Chippinghouse Road in directories of the 1930s and 1940s. Isidore died in 1950, and later directories show Beatrice Newman at that address until c. 1960.

PeterR

That photo does seem to show the bomb site behind Atkinsons temporary windows. I wonder if I am thinking of a time around 1950-2. I still have the image of the temporary prefab shops which would have been at the back of that bomb site. I'd love to know exactly when Atkinsons Had those windows built. I might try asking them if they have any history of the store.

---------- Post added 16-08-2015 at 19:19 ----------

Well what do you know. A quick google shows they have indeed produced a book. 140 years of their history at 9.95. I'll be getting a copy asap.

Good luck with the book Minimo! :)