Free loft insulation- costing me more to keep house cool..

Except that in the summer more heat is gained through the roof than can be lost. So the more insulation, the cooler the house will be (due to lower thermal gain).

If the house just generates too much heat anyway then additional ventilation should be used, which can then be closed in the winter.

Has the insulation been fitted correctly, to still allow air circulation from the soffits?

Although it won't make much overall difference, it's important to make sure the loft is still vented.

In a proper passivhouse you'd have masses of insulation, great airtightness all around but crucially you'd have adequate ventilation and cooling capabilities.

When you just dump insulation all over the building it's a kind of half measure.

Would love to open windows all day but am at work so burglars would have a field day !!

Bedroom faces direct east so the sun warms it up very early on , even with curtains closed..that heat can't escape upwards due to thick loft insulation , and wall cavity beads, so heat is trapped.

---------- Post added 16-08-2015 at 22:44 ----------

By the way, I'm a woman , had to laugh, some hilarious misogynistic comments ! Says it all about this forum really...'

Would love to open windows all day but am at work so burglars would have a field day !!

Bedroom faces direct east so the sun warms it up very early on , even with curtains closed..that heat can't escape upwards due to thick loft insulation , and wall cavity beads, so heat is trapped.

---------- Post added 16-08-2015 at 22:44 ----------

By the way, I'm a woman , had to laugh, some hilarious misogynistic comments ! Says it all about this forum really...'

Yes mate i know exactly were youre coming from. I have hardly any insulation in my loft heat rises and cant get away no matter what the google experts say. The more you insulate and stop draughts the hotter the house gets. Keep windows open and buy some decent fans . Pray for cooler weather and dont go to australia you will fry.:hihi::hihi:

Just give it to someone that wants to keep their house warmer in winter and cooler in summer. :thumbsup:

No one is ever going to convince me that putting 3 inches of insulation on top of ceiling joists is ever going to make a house cooler.Time to make your own mind up and take no notice of those selling it . Its like putting a blanket on you and saying that will keep you cool. A lot of these firms telling you to fill cavitys e.t.c. have a lot to answer for. :hihi::hihi: The more you insulate the warmer house will be if you dont want a hot house dont insulate. They dont in australia so there is proof. Ask an aussie :hihi::hihi:

No one is ever going to convince me that putting 3 inches of insulation on top of ceiling joists is ever going to make a house cooler.Time to make your own mind up and take no notice of those selling it . Its like putting a blanket on you and saying that will keep you cool. A lot of these firms telling you to fill cavitys e.t.c. have a lot to answer for. :hihi::hihi: The more you insulate the warmer house will be if you dont want a hot house dont insulate. They dont in australia so there is proof. Ask an aussie :hihi::hihi:

Insulation slows down the flow of heat form one side to the other side, if the inside of the house is warmer than the outside then it helps to keeps the house warm, if the outside is warmer than inside then the inside will stay cooler.

Flasks help to keep hot liquids hot and cold liquid cold, don't use a flask and the liquid will quickly change temperature to match the temperature of its surroundings, the same applies to your house.

Insulation slows down the flow of heat form one side to the other side, if the inside of the house is warmer than the outside then it helps to keeps the house warm, if the outside is warmer than inside then the inside will stay cooler.

Flasks help to keep hot liquids hot and cold liquid cold, don't use a flask and the liquid will quickly change temperature to match the temperature of its surroundings, the same applies to your house.

Newtons law of cooling doens't apply to arachnids didn't you know that? :hihi: