Free loft insulation- costing me more to keep house cool..

Insulation slows down the flow of heat form one side to the other side, if the inside of the house is warmer than the outside then it helps to keeps the house warm, if the outside is warmer than inside then the inside will stay cooler.

Flasks help to keep hot liquids hot and cold liquid cold, don't use a flask and the liquid will quickly change temperature to match the temperature of its surroundings, the same applies to your house.

Trouble is houses have windows and they act like greenhouses when the sun shines through them, heating up the air inside the room. I can see the point that once the room is hot having insulation will stop it cooling down as quickly.

---------- Post added 17-08-2015 at 11:58 ----------

You should read your links before posting them:

"Use passive design techniques in conjunction with insulation. For example, if insulation is installed but the house is not properly shaded, built-up heat can be kept in by the insulation, creating an ‘oven’ effect."

The point is insulating is not the whole story with keeping a house cool.

Edited by TimmyR

No one is ever going to convince me that putting 3 inches of insulation on top of ceiling joists is ever going to make a house cooler.Time to make your own mind up and take no notice of those selling it . Its like putting a blanket on you and saying that will keep you cool. A lot of these firms telling you to fill cavitys e.t.c. have a lot to answer for. :hihi::hihi: The more you insulate the warmer house will be if you dont want a hot house dont insulate. They dont in australia so there is proof. Ask an aussie :hihi::hihi:

Have you ever been up to a loft with good insulation in the middle of summer? Have you felt how insanely hot is it? That's surely because the heat coming from the roof gets trapped in the loft space above the insulation. Without it that heat will seep through from the loft into the rest of your house.

I did. Spider1 said they don't use insulation in Australia. My link shows that they do.

Yes you can prove black is white if you go on google enough. Were abouts what part and they dont shove it down your throat like they do here. Do you know they have found out cavity wall insulation causes condensation and no air in cavity does not allow house to breathe and southerly facing bwk on house walls bwk flakeing due to walls not drying out no air in cavitys. Sweating in roof voids because lack of air. . :hihi::hihi: Builders love it. More work for every one everybody happy. PHEW ITS LIKE A SAUNA IN HERE OPEN WINDOWS. but the windows dont open aint you heard of air conditioning. / Went to Monks Bridge pub for sun lunch like an oven inside not a window to open but great in winter. TRY IT WHEN ITS HOT LET US KNOW WHAT YOU THINK.

---------- Post added 17-08-2015 at 13:53 ----------

Have you ever been up to a loft with good insulation in the middle of summer? Have you felt how insanely hot is it? That's surely because the heat coming from the roof gets trapped in the loft space above the insulation. Without it that heat will seep through from the loft into the rest of your house.

So you think thats okay TIMBER roof space like an oven . :hihi: Open some windows .

---------- Post added 17-08-2015 at 14:05 ----------

Trouble is houses have windows and they act like greenhouses when the sun shines through them, heating up the air inside the room. I can see the point that once the room is hot having insulation will stop it cooling down as quickly.

---------- Post added 17-08-2015 at 11:58 ----------

You should read your links before posting them:

"Use passive design techniques in conjunction with insulation. For example, if insulation is installed but the house is not properly shaded, built-up heat can be kept in by the insulation, creating an ‘oven’ effect."

The point is insulating is not the whole story with keeping a house cool.

YOU FORGOT TO SAY ROCKWOOL SHOULD BE BANNED DIRTY HORRIBLE STUFF .WARNING DO NOT GO IN ROOF SPACE WITHOUT A MASK. :hihi: PERHAPS YOU AS AN EXPERT CAN TELL US WHY THEY DONT BAN IT.

Edited by esme
quote tags

Mod note

Bickering posts, personal attacks and sexist comments have been removed along with any references to them.

Apparently you can't even discuss something as mundane and unemotional as household insulation without hurling insults at each other.

I never imagined I'd have to post a warning like this on a household insulation thread, kindly discuss the topic in a civil manner.

Edited by esme
finished review