Free loft insulation- costing me more to keep house cool..

It would be more time and work but are there be any advantages in just insulating the loft 'ceiling' and leaving the loft 'floor' bare?

Isn't there supposed to be air flow in and around the eves??

So you'd want the insulation below that airflow not above it.

Thanks to JFKvsNixon , post 22, will definitely follow your advice and open loft hatch , actually makes perfect sense and so simple !

Why didn't I think of this in the first place??

I doubt you'll be back to admit it, but on a hot day that will make your house hotter, not cooler.

I doubt you'll be back to admit it, but on a hot day that will make your house hotter, not cooler.

If outside is hotter than inside you're right, however if the inside is hotter than the outside as a result of the greenhouse effect of the windows and sunlight passing through (as the OP stated is a problem) then having loft insulation will make the problem worse and yes opening the loft hatch will make a difference as it will increase air flow.

Having the loft insulation is still better from a cost point of view as you'll save more money in winter.

Edited by TimmyR

If outside is hotter than inside you're right, however if the inside is hotter than the outside as a result of the greenhouse effect of the windows and sunlight passing through (as the OP stated is a problem) then having loft insulation will make the problem worse and yes opening the loft hatch will make a difference as it will increase air flow.

Having the loft insulation is still better from a cost point of view as you'll save more money in winter.

The loft space will be significantly hotter than the rest of the house if the roof is experiencing direct sunlight (like the windows you described), in which case opening the hatch will let hot air into the house from that space.

The loft space will be significantly hotter than the rest of the house if the roof is experiencing direct sunlight (like the windows you described), in which case opening the hatch will let hot air into the house from that space.

This certainly doesn't happen in my house, and I can feel a draft rising into the attic.

The loft space isn't outside and on an hot day it will be warmer than both the outside and house rooms, roof tiles get hot on hot sunny days.