Let cyclists run red lights..

They already do run red lights.

Debatable whether it's safer for the cyclist (with better positioning, awareness and care leaving a red Iight from stopping should not be more dangerous than running it). Certainly not safer for pedestrians at crossings though.

I didnt know it was illegal, at least hardly anyone gets a ticket.

If you're caught doing it, you'll get fined.

There's a youtube video out there of a cyclist jumping a red light and being stopped and ticketed by a Police officer

It's worthwhile pointing out that proposal only allows going though red in limited circumstances:

The new rules for cyclists, allowing people to go straight ahead at T junctions or turn right (left in UK) on a red light, if the way is clear and no pedestrians are crossing, will make Paris more bike-friendly,” Ms Russell said.

i.e. Where the cyclist can hug the kerb and the way is clear.

It's similar to the right turn on red rules that they have in the US for all vehicles.

I don't think it will work at every junction, but there are plenty where it could be used safely ... perhaps longer term more it may lead to more people cycling and therefore more investment in cycling focused infrastructure. That would be great for a city like Sheffield.

As with most things in life there is still a fair amount of brain power to be applied ...

- so if pedestrians are waiting / crossing, is it safe to proceed ... no !

- if you are likely to cause injury to yourself / another road user (regardless of circumstances), is it safe to proceed ... no !

I must say that I have found it rather disconcerting in the USA when using a crossing that is showing green for pedestrians whilst cars are continuing to creep through - but perhaps it is just an awareness thing that we need to learn ?

Could be an interesting debate unless the haters kill the thread with the old VED & insurance chestnut

---------- Post added 15-08-2015 at 13:47 ----------

Cyclist runs red light, crashes into double-decker bus

A cyclist in Manchester has learnt a painful lesson about disobeying the Highway Code, after being filmed jumping the lights and slamming into a bus.

I wonder if this is true ?

Anotherher YouTube user, claiming to be the cyclist in the clip, posted a comment a few days later:

“It was me. Thought I'd just get the lights, hence the speed. Realised it wasn't happening, squeezed the front brake. Cable snapped. Not enough time to lose speed on back wheel in the wet. Not fun.”

Edited by mc55

Letting cyclists move out of the way of danger if the road is clear. Sensible policy and I ride and drive.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/it-should-be-made-legal-for-cyclists-to-run-red-lights-says-green-party-10455418.html

I haven't had chance to read the article yet but if it were made legal for a cyclist to go through a red light, who would be held accountable if a car (going through green) hits them and seriously injures them?

I haven't had chance to read the article yet but if it were made legal for a cyclist to go through a red light, who would be held accountable if a car (going through green) hits them and seriously injures them?

Would it not depend upon the circumstances? Maybe it would be judged in the same manner as a pedestrian crossing on a red man on a pedestrian crossing?