Let cyclists run red lights..

Cyclist runs red light, crashes into double-decker bus

A cyclist in Manchester has learnt a painful lesson about disobeying the Highway Code, after being filmed jumping the lights and slamming into a bus.

It turned out he had brake failure and couldn't stop.

---------- Post added 16-08-2015 at 09:55 ----------

I've heard this before but I'm inclined to believe it's a hoax claim, from the point where he goes through the red light to the point where he hits the bus he makes no attempt at swerving, changing course or any other means of avoiding the accident.

So you concluded that he deliberately rides into the side of a bus?

---------- Post added 16-08-2015 at 09:56 ----------

I am puzzled though, how do you go straight ahead at a T junction? Isn't it inherent in the name that there is no ahead if you've reached a T?

I am puzzled though, how do you go straight ahead at a T junction? Isn't it inherent in the name that there is no ahead if you've reached a T?

Think crossing the top of the T on the side opposite the stem.

Think crossing the top of the T on the side opposite the stem.

Yeah, I suppose. But normally that isn't called a T junction is it. If you approach from the head of the T, it's just a right or a left turn to you.

---------- Post added 16-08-2015 at 19:19 ----------

Cyclists who consistently run red lights should be lined up against a wall and shot.

It's a good job you didn't come up with any extreme ideas or anything isn't it. :huh:

---------- Post added 16-08-2015 at 19:52 ----------

Rather than start a new cyclist thread, I'll just post this link here.

https://www.facebook.com/kieran.sice.908/videos/1629958487243212/?fref=nf

Skip to about 2:15 in the video.

So you concluded that he deliberately rides into the side of a bus?

No, I make no conclusion about why he hit the bus, the video doesn't show enough for me to conclude anything.

You're jumping to conclusions.

It's not a T-junction, if you're talking about the one in the video.

EDIT: I've since read the guy's explanation of what happened (assuming he is the cyclist), he basically said he thought it'd be better to splat into the side of the bus than try swerving and end up going under the bus, which kinda makes sense but I think if it were me I'd be digging my heels into the tarmac and trying my best to stop. I don't have any experience of riding a fixed wheel though so I'm not in much of a position to judge.

I still find it odd that he seems to show no reaction to the bus, his pedalling doesn't really seem to slow down either.

Edited by RootsBooster

It's not a red light, but in the last fortnight I've seen 2 cars reach this point

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3716923,-1.4744325,3a,75y,82.98h,60.28t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1suzjf1uz1_sbdf4BXFJdKEw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

And then decide, never mind, 1 way street doesn't apply to me.

And since I only pass that point twice a day for about 20 seconds it makes me wonder just how many car drivers are actually doing that.

---------- Post added 17-08-2015 at 08:46 ----------

No, I make no conclusion about why he hit the bus, the video doesn't show enough for me to conclude anything.

You're jumping to conclusions.

No I'm not. I'm reading your words, and remembering the explanation the cyclist himself gave.

It's not a T-junction, if you're talking about the one in the video.

I'm not. I'm talking about the proposal that includes allowing cyclists to go through red lights at T junctions if they are going straight ahead.

EDIT: I've since read the guy's explanation of what happened (assuming he is the cyclist), he basically said he thought it'd be better to splat into the side of the bus than try swerving and end up going under the bus, which kinda makes sense but I think if it were me I'd be digging my heels into the tarmac and trying my best to stop. I don't have any experience of riding a fixed wheel though so I'm not in much of a position to judge.

He gets more braking power from using the pedals than he could ever achieve with feet on wet tarmac, if he can even get his heels down (which would mean his seat was set too low).

I still find it odd that he seems to show no reaction to the bus, his pedalling doesn't really seem to slow down either.

It doesn't change much I agree. But if he tried to slow too quickly he would skid and lose control.