Let cyclists run red lights..

CONSTANTLY???? Are you sure about that? Not my experience TBH

Whereabouts is this happening?

I think you understand my point then. The original comment was that cyclists run red lights constantly, which is total b*****ks, i replied with some similar b*****ks about car drivers.

It's not a red light, but in the last fortnight I've seen 2 cars reach this point

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3716923,-1.4744325,3a,75y,82.98h,60.28t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1suzjf1uz1_sbdf4BXFJdKEw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

And then decide, never mind, 1 way street doesn't apply to me.

And since I only pass that point twice a day for about 20 seconds it makes me wonder just how many car drivers are actually doing that.

I don't think anyone denies there are plenty of ignorant and arrogant car drivers who blatantly break the rules (except maybe Penistone). Nobody's proposing to legalise that behaviour though (except maybe Penistone).

No I'm not. I'm reading your words, and remembering the explanation the cyclist himself gave.

My words mentioned no conclusion, just that I wasn't convinced of his explanation, or even that it's definitely the same guy.

---------- Post added 17-08-2015 at 10:13 ----------

I'm wondering, though, why is it considered more dangerous for a cyclist to wait until it changes to green at some lights, compared to travelling through with traffic flow on an existing green?

CONSTANTLY???? Are you sure about that? Not my experience TBH

Whereabouts is this happening?

On every busy junction during rush hour. Plenty of cars go through on 'amber/just after turning red from amber' during heavy traffic.

I haven't had chance to read the article yet but if it were made legal for a cyclist to go through a red light, who would be held accountable if a car (going through green) hits them and seriously injures them?

I think you will find that your average cyclist has no desire to be hit by a car and would probably check to see if the coast is clear before setting off.

I think you will find that your average cyclist has no desire to be hit by a car and would probably check to see if the coast is clear before setting off.

You'd think so wouldn't you?

It still happens though, cyclists going through red and colliding with other vehicles or pedestrians.

It still happens though, cyclists going through red and colliding with other vehicles or pedestrians.

Happens to cars as well, and they're far more dangerous.

---------- Post added 17-08-2015 at 17:38 ----------

They're classed as a vehicle why should they be allowed to run red lights?

They're classes as a vehicle, why shouldn't they be allowed on the motorway.

Oh, that's right, we're free to make rules that suit the vehicle as we (society) wishes.

---------- Post added 17-08-2015 at 17:39 ----------

I'm wondering, though, why is it considered more dangerous for a cyclist to wait until it changes to green at some lights, compared to travelling through with traffic flow on an existing green?

I personally don't think that's ever the case, some cyclists do because some car drivers are so impatient they will overtake when there is no room, putting cyclists in danger.

I was quietly waiting at some red traffic lights in Monmouth a few weeks back when some cool dude cyclist, apparently on his lunch break as an extra off some new re-make of Alien decided that red light were no deterrent to his higher level mind and wobbled (at fairly high speed, so far as pedal bikes are concerned) past all the stationary traffic ... straight into the side of another pedallista, pedalling in the green light direction, sending them both sprawling toward planet Earth in the way that only gravity does, in a tangle of shiny Lycra, plastic and skin shavings. Obviously, 'Red Alien man' had not seen the green pedalmeister.

Strong words were shouted by both concerned as they checked they were still alive on the hostile planet. Car horns hooted. Cars drove around ... life went on. No one laughed a lot or even smiled (:D).

If cyclists want priority over other road users, then fine ... they know best. :P

Happens to cars as well, and they're far more dangerous.

Absolutely, but nobody's proposing we allow cars to go through reds.

I personally don't think that's ever the case, some cyclists do because some car drivers are so impatient they will overtake when there is no room, putting cyclists in danger.

The impatient drivers will overtake when there is no room, regardless of it being at the lights or elsewhere though, which is why I've never understood that argument.

---------- Post added 18-08-2015 at 08:23 ----------

I was quietly waiting at some red traffic lights in Monmouth a few weeks back when some cool dude cyclist, apparently on his lunch break as an extra off some new re-make of Alien decided that red light were no deterrent to his higher level mind and wobbled (at fairly high speed, so far as pedal bikes are concerned) past all the stationary traffic ... straight into the side of another pedallista, pedalling in the green light direction, sending them both sprawling toward planet Earth in the way that only gravity does, in a tangle of shiny Lycra, plastic and skin shavings. Obviously, 'Red Alien man' had not seen the green pedalmeister.

Strong words were shouted by both concerned as they checked they were still alive on the hostile planet. Car horns hooted. Cars drove around ... life went on. No one laughed a lot or even smiled (:D).

It happens. This is what happens when the Colonial Marines are dealing with a crisis elsewhere.

If some cyclists want priority over other road users, then fine ... they think they know best. :P

...just made that a little more accurate for you:)

Edited by RootsBooster

Absolutely, but nobody's proposing we allow cars to go through reds.

The impatient drivers will overtake when there is no room, regardless of it being at the lights or elsewhere though, which is why I've never understood that argument.

Oh, well that's quite easy to explain.

The cyclist thinks that the traffic lights are particularly dangerous, but a 10 second head start will put them in a place where the impatient drivers are less of a danger.