Let cyclists run red lights..

Except for the huge number of uninsured drivers of course.

If you have your own insurance, and put a claim through them, then the process would be exactly the same for a cyclist, they pay you, they then recover the costs through court if necessary. Insurance isn't magic.

Are you sure that the requirement to exchange details doesn't include cyclists and pedestrians? Indeed anyone involved in an accident on the road?

Interested if the 'insurance to drive any vehicle (or is it car?)' bit of comprehensive cover also covers pedal cycles?

I have CTC gubbins anyway.

I think the other vehicle has to have insurance in it's own right for you to be able to drive it on your own insurance..other wise, I could pay insurance on a small old car and use that part of my policy for an " uninsured" Ferrari.. if you see what I mean..

Except for the huge number of uninsured drivers of course.

If you have your own insurance, and put a claim through them, then the process would be exactly the same for a cyclist, they pay you, they then recover the costs through court if necessary. Insurance isn't magic.

Are you sure that the requirement to exchange details doesn't include cyclists and pedestrians? Indeed anyone involved in an accident on the road?

But we are not talking about uninsured drivers, are we?

And I know how car insurance works thank you.

To claim costs from a cyclist you would need the cyclists details and there is no provision in the Road traffic act that states a cyclist involved in a minor traffic accident has to give his/her details.

Obviously if he is carried off on a stretcher there is an expectation that police will be involved but I don't know what powers they have to compel him to provide his name and address.

If you have information that states otherwise then I am always happy to learn.

To claim costs from a cyclist you would need the cyclists details and there is no provision in the Road traffic act that states a cyclist involved in a minor traffic accident has to give his/her details.

Obviously if he is carried off on a stretcher there is an expectation that police will be involved but I don't know what powers they have to compel him to provide his name and address.

How would you reclaim your costs if a pedestrian walked out in front of you causing you to swerve and damage your car?

How would you reclaim your costs if a pedestrian walked out in front of you causing you to swerve and damage your car?

We are talking about collisions with cyclists. No idea about missing a pedestrian.

Once again there is no law states a pedestrian must stop and give details.

We are talking about collisions with cyclists. No idea about missing a pedestrian.

What I'm suggesting is if that you wanted to reclaim your costs after an incident with a cyclist you'd go about in the same way as you would after an incident with a pedestrian.

---------- Post added 18-08-2015 at 14:53 ----------

Once again there is no law states a pedestrian must stop and give details.

To fair I don't think that there should be a law.

If some really aggressive driver started ranting at your daughter/son/wife/girlfriend because they thought that they were responsible for a crash, would you be happy if they legally had to give the driver their name and address and phone number?

Edited by JFKvsNixon

What I'm suggesting is if that you wanted to reclaim your costs after an incident with a cyclist you'd go about in the same way as you would after an incident with a pedestrian.
The same could be done with cars, just scrap insurance altogether

If some really aggressive driver started ranting at your daughter/son/wife/girlfriend because they thought that they were responsible for a crash, would you be happy if they legally had to give the driver their name and address and phone number?

:suspect:

The same could be said if some angry driver thought your daughter/son/wife/girlfriend was responsible for an accident with their car

The same could be done with cars, just scrap insurance altogether

It could, except that the risk of third party injury isn't comparable between pedestrians/cyclists and vehicles.

:suspect:

The same could be said if some angry driver thought your daughter/son/wife/girlfriend was responsible for an accident with their car

True, but could you just give the other driver your insurance details though?

They're a lot like cyclists though, except illegally uninsured.

Well, some proof would be nice, since I'm not sure.

Can you link to the legislation?

I was asking you because I'm not sure, can you prove what you said?

---------- Post added 18-08-2015 at 15:31 ----------

Is that any different to when 2 cars are involved?

---------- Post added 18-08-2015 at 15:41 ----------

I've checked it myself and it doesn't apply, the requirement only applies to "mechanically propelled vehicles", a cycle is considered to be manually propelled. I'd suggest that the legislation should be changed to cover all vehicles, however propelled, that are used on a public road.

Edited by Cyclone