Sheffield cutlery, still worth buying and where to buy?

h2o1

'Sheffield cutlery' used to mean it was made from Sheffield steel. It was the actual quality of the Sheffield steel that made its name. The blanks were cut from it and turned into Sheffield cutlery by expert craftsmen.

In my opinion, importing blanks from Korea etc completely negates the name of 'Sheffield' cutlery. If the steel wasn't made here it isn't.

Having worked in a "Made in Sheffield" business I was shocked at how almost all the blades were actually bought from china then repackaged to make it look like they were made here, they are all at it.

David Mellor kitchen knives are made in China and the glassware is made in Poland but they are designed, marketed and retailed in and from Derbyshire.

Privately commissioned work ranging from high-end silver presentation pieces to bespoke architectural furnishings is for the most part still made in Hathersage.

'Sheffield - UK / Great Britain / England' is a heritage market-facing strap line that has undeniable traction both across international markets and within the UK.

It's no surprise that a marketing-led product design company has successfully exploited it and chooses to continue to do so.

Technically this may be a little bit naughty because Hathersage isn't in Sheffield (and neither are China or Poland!), but the company did start in the city and the Head Office / 'Factory' does have a Sheffield (S32) postcode.

David Mellor kitchen knives are made in China and the glassware is made in Poland but they are designed, marketed and retailed in and from Derbyshire.

Privately commissioned work ranging from high-end silver presentation pieces to bespoke architectural furnishings is for the most part still made in Hathersage.

'Sheffield - UK / Great Britain / England' is a heritage market-facing strap line that has undeniable traction both across international markets and within the UK.

It's no surprise that a marketing-led product design company has successfully exploited it and chooses to continue to do so.

Technically this may be a little bit naughty because Hathersage isn't in Sheffield (and neither are China or Poland!), but the company did start in the city and the Head Office / 'Factory' does have a Sheffield (S32) postcode.

Hardly any cutlery is made at Hathersage, its production workforce is less that seven operatives, as for " Designer" lines some of it is thought up by a man who works along side Corin, designs of other people are altered very slightly, as in their collapsible drinks trolley, then claimed its a Mellor design and all they did was to put two new handles on. Their Paris range of cutlery was designed by a Norwegian student called Katarina, she worked tirelessly hand filing copper blanks, which I polished for her, she returned to Norway and around two years later she asked if she could return only to be told that " it's not convenient at the moment" the real reason was her design was in full production.

The best place to find genuine Sheffield cutlery might well be a local antique shop.

Went and bought some last week from the antiques quarter. Better prices and lots of cased Made in Sheffield silver & stainless cutlery about. Quality seems better than the more recent stuff. Saw some nice sets in Sheffield Antiques Centre, Langtons and Antiques Emporium and prices were similar in all.

Went and bought some last week from the antiques quarter. Better prices and lots of cased Made in Sheffield silver & stainless cutlery about. Quality seems better than the more recent stuff. Saw some nice sets in Sheffield Antiques Centre, Langtons and Antiques Emporium and prices were similar in all.

spot on, a sensible buyer.

I ended up buying Robert Welch cutlery, which doesn't pretend to manufacture in the UK, but the designs are original Robert Welch (RIP) and made to a very high quality.

There are kitchen knifes made in Sheffield which are worth buying and not expensive -

Taylors Eye Witness. I have one of their general purpose knives 9" - 10" long that's a good all rounder. They also make brightly coloured knifes, that have shelf appeal in the shop, but they soon look tatty as the paint wears off.

A. Wright & Son also make excellent knives, with forged steel blades and rosewood handles. That's real old-school quality and they're not expensive. The Famous Sheffield Shop is their outlet and they're often made to order.

I was under the impression the cheapy coloured Taylor's eye witness stuff was made in China. They do some higher end made in Sheffield stuff though.

You can pick up a set of old Sheffield cutlery for next to nothing, the reason being most people want cutlery that will survive a dishwasher now. Silver plate won't survive and neither will anything with bone, ivory or plastic handles.

I sold my parents old 12 place cased set of Sheffield silver plate cutlery last month at Sheffield Auction Gallery. I got £31 for it (the hammer price was £45).