Egotistical Google Experts

Even true anecdotes are pretty much worthless as evidence, at least when you attempt to generalise from them.

I saw a motorist run a red light, red light running is a problem and we must do something about it. Etc, etc...

In reality my anecdote (whilst fact) is not evidence beyond the fact that I saw a single motorist run a red light. .

Witness my event where I had a cyclist under the Landrover. All that proved, was at that time that cyclist had a problem...

didn't stop people on here spewing reams of pages about how my trailer had a lighting problem.... it's not been hit by subsequent cyclists and the lights havnt changed on it at all...

Witness my event where I had a cyclist under the Landrover. All that proved, was at that time that cyclist had a problem...

didn't stop people on here spewing reams of pages about how my trailer had a lighting problem.... it's not been hit by subsequent cyclists and the lights havnt changed on it at all...

That thread was hilarious.

---------- Post added 19-08-2015 at 14:15 ----------

If the same or similar events pop up in SF. We can hold them to be true.

Uhhuh. A self selecting bunch of people from Sheffield. If they complain about the same things then it establishes a universal truth. :suspect:

Am not calling you a liar but it was a singular anecdote. as you say, people had various views on it, as im sure did the cyclist and people at the scene which may or may not substantiate your view.

if more people posted similar stories we could hold it in mass conciousness to be true.

---------- Post added 19-08-2015 at 14:18 ----------

Uhhuh. A self selecting bunch of people from Sheffield. If they complain about the same things then it establishes a universal truth. :suspect:

Or any community. Group. universal or at the least probable truth.

---------- Post added 19-08-2015 at 14:21 ----------

All that proved, was at that time that cyclist had a problem...

Proved to you. And im not saying it wasnt true, but its still a singular opinion.

No, a self selecting group in a limited geographical area, posting anecdotes, are unlikely to expose anything except local trends, and even then the self selecting nature of the group probably renders any apparent trends meaningless and misleading.

---------- Post added 19-08-2015 at 14:34 ----------

Proved to you. And im not saying it wasnt true, but its still a singular opinion.

If you take the anecdote at face value then the cyclist almost certainly had a problem as he hit a trailer.

No need to be sorry.

Only part-quoting me to change to context of my post?

if more people posted similar stories we could hold it in mass conciousness to be true.

Or any community. Group. universal or at the least probable truth.

I'm afraid not, that's called an appeal to popularity and holds no water.

If 200 people all agree that they can breathe underwater without any apparatus, it does not make them correct.

I'm calling you a trolling strawman for sure.

give me a break.

---------- Post added 19-08-2015 at 15:20 ----------

No, a self selecting group in a limited geographical area, posting anecdotes, are unlikely to expose anything except local trends, and even then the self selecting nature of the group probably renders any apparent trends meaningless and misleading.

---------- Post added 19-08-2015 at 14:34 ----------

If you take the anecdote at face value then the cyclist almost certainly had a problem as he hit a trailer.

So sf expose local trends..its still more valid than a single anecdote.

---------- Post added 19-08-2015 at 15:22 ----------

Only part-quoting me to change to context of my post?

I'm afraid not, that's called an appeal to popularity and holds no water.

If 200 people all agree that they can breathe underwater without any apparatus, it does not make them correct.

Fine. However the likely consensus is that it must be true. Of course it may not be.