Egotistical Google Experts

Group think doesn't make it more likely that it's correct, it just makes it more likely that they read the same trash talking 'news' paper and don't apply any critical thought to what they read.

---------- Post added 20-08-2015 at 20:20 ----------

How would someone know at all, and isn't it more likely that they just assumed or guessed such a thing? That's how rumours start.

I disagree. I think that it's more likely that the people making the comments are just using common stereotypes to pass on lazy gossip, maybe with a bit of conformation bias thrown in for good measure.

So everyone that says something you disagree with must be lying or they all read it in a trashy news paper, life must be so difficult in a world in which you don't trust anything anyone says.

100 people claim that the same person raped them, should their claims be dismissed as lazy gossip and trash?

So everyone that says something you disagree with must be lying or they all read it in a trashy news paper, life must be so difficult in a world in which you don't trust anything anyone says.

100 people claim that the same person raped them, should their claims be dismissed as lazy gossip and trash?

Oh dear, it looks like you've gone straight to Defcon 1! :hihi:

I've not suggested that 'everyone that says something I disagree with must be lying or they all read it in a trashy news paper'. So I don't know where you are going with that little tale, maybe you heard it from a few people and believed it to be true? Maybe you should have looked for a bit of evidence to verify the claims first?

Edited by JFKvsNixon

Oh dear, it looks like you've gone straight to Defcon 1! :hihi:

I've not suggested that 'everyone that says something I disagree with must be lying or they all read it in a trashy news paper'. So I don't know where you are going with that little tale, maybe you heard it from a few people and believed it to be true? Maybe you should have looked for a bit of evidence to verify the claims first?

No, it was the impression your post gave.

That's the problem with assumptions, you can often end up being wrong.

It wasn't an assumption, but your post was.

I disagree. I think that it's more likely that the people making the comments are just using common stereotypes to pass on lazy gossip, maybe with a bit of conformation bias thrown in for good measure.

You make an unfounded assumption because you don't like what they say.

It wasn't an assumption, but your post was.

You make an unfounded assumption because you don't like what they say.

I thought that that was clear that I was making an assumption when I used language such as - I think that it's more likely. So once more, I really don't know where you going with this.

I thought that that was clear that I was making an assumption when I used language such as - I think that it's more likely. So once more, I really don't know where you going with this.

What's the point in making an assumption that is just as likley to be wrong. I'm going in the direction you take it.

If you start talking rubbish down the pub, I'd hope that you accept it when someone corrects you.

Hold on, a lot of folk go to the pub to talk rubbish, and talk even more rubbish the more beers they have. It's partly what pubs are for.

What's the point in making an assumption that is just as likley to be wrong. I'm going in the direction you take it.

I was sharing an opinion, you do know that this is an internet discussion forum? I wasn't claiming that my opinion was true, which is where the problems arise if I were to.

For example, if I was claiming it was a fact that people making the comments are just using common stereotypes to pass on lazy gossip, maybe with a bit of conformation bias thrown in for good measure. I would have to produce some other facts to back up my claim, for my claim to be taken seriously.

This is the issue. People are presenting their opinions as facts.

I was sharing an opinion, you do know that this is an internet discussion forum? I wasn't claiming that my opinion was true, which is where the problems arise if I were to.

For example, if I was claiming it was a fact that people making the comments are just using common stereotypes to pass on lazy gossip, maybe with a bit of conformation bias thrown in for good measure. I would have to produce some other facts to back up my claim, for my claim to be taken seriously.

This is the issue. People are presenting their opinions as facts.

No they aren't, the 1000 people I talked about weren't expressing an opinion.