Egotistical Google Experts

No they aren't, the 1000 people I talked about weren't expressing an opinion.

Well it's my opinion that it's more likely that the people making the comments are just using common stereotypes to pass on lazy gossip, maybe with a bit of conformation bias thrown in for good measure.

I feel like we've reached the end of the road in our little dialogue.

Well it's my opinion that it's more likely that the people making the comments are just using common stereotypes to pass on lazy gossip, maybe with a bit of conformation bias thrown in for good measure.

I feel like we've reached the end of the road in our little dialogue.

Would you assume they were all lying if they claimed to have been raped, or is your assumption based on them saying something you don't want to believe.

Would you assume they were all lying if they claimed to have been raped, or is your assumption based on them saying something you don't want to believe.

We're heading right back to Defcon 1 again! :hihi:

One of my issues on presenting the I had a kid to get a free council house as a fact is that, how would someone else know the motivation of the single parent well enough to present it as a fact?

Young people are notorious for putting a false bravado when they're faced with a tricky situation. It's also not unknown for someone trying to make their way in the world to make a boast about a course of action that they don't really have any intention of carrying out.

We're heading right back to Defcon 1 again! :hihi:

One of my issues on presenting the I had a kid to get a free council house as a fact is that, how would someone else know the motivation of the single parent well enough to present it as a fact?

Young people are notorious for putting a false bravado when they're faced with a tricky situation. It's also not unknown for someone trying to make their way in the world to make a boast about a course of action that they don't really have any intention of carrying out.

I'm going to make an assumption here, I think you must know something about the people you know, if you do then you should accept that other people will know things about people they know, if you don't then your life must be very lonely.

I'm going to make an assumption here, I think you must know something about the people you know, if you do then you should accept that other people will know things about people they know, if you don't then your life must be very lonely.

I reject what you're suggesting, I'd like to think that I lead a happy and full life.

My suggestion is that I think that sometimes people see what they want to, especially so when it backs up any preconceptions that they may have. It's my opinion that this is what would be going on with your original free council house suggestion.

I am willing to change my mind if you can present me with some supporting evidence to back up the claims.

There is another elephant in the room, namely it's actually a lot more difficult path in life to bring up an infant by yourself, in an effort to get free council accommodation, than it is compared to working full time and funding your accommodation yourself.

Edited by JFKvsNixon

It makes sense to me.

One person makes a comment about someone they know that had a child in order to secure a council house and benefits. Take it with a pinch of salt unless you also know someone that had a child in order to secure a council house and benefits.

A thousand people from different parts of the country saying the same thing and its more likley to be based on the reality that some people do indeed have child in order to secure a council house and benefits.

Do you not see the irony in your readiness to believe hearsay and thus adding to the number of people spreading the rumour(s)?

---------- Post added 21-08-2015 at 08:44 ----------

Its more likley that they do actually know someone that had a child in order to secure a council house and benefits.

Can you explain what leads you to this conclusion?

What is this sound evidence you take about?

How else would you know that someone had a child in order to secure a council house and benefits, if it wasn't for someone knowing them and telling the world about them.

But you don't know, you only have that person's word for it.

You've personally been told by a thousand people that they had a child in order to secure council accommodation?

I'll give you a little time to think about it.

Obviously this went right over your head the first time you read it.

Post 164

It makes sense to me.

One person makes a comment about someone they know that had a child in order to secure a council house and benefits. Take it with a pinch of salt unless you also know someone that had a child in order to secure a council house and benefits.

A thousand people from different parts of the country saying the same thing and its more likley to be based on the reality that some people do indeed have a child in order to secure a council house and benefits.

---------- Post added 21-08-2015 at 08:56 ----------

Do you not see the irony in your readiness to believe hearsay and thus adding to the number of people spreading the rumour(s)?

---------- Post added 21-08-2015 at 08:44 ----------

Can you explain what leads you to this conclusion?

But you don't know, you only have that person's word for it.

Its very likley that most of your knowledge is based on what someone said or something you read which was based on what someone said.

I know how far it is to the sun but I didn't measure it, I just believe the person that did, it must be very difficult for you living in a world in which you trust no one.

Its very likley that most of your knowledge is based on what someone said or something you read which was based on what someone said.

I know how far it is to the sun but I didn't measure it, I just believe the person that did, it must be very difficult for you living in a world in which you trust no one.

What person and why do you believe?

galileo was derided, called mad. But he stuck to his guns and was proven right.

Like I say, popular opinion is not always correct.

Actually to be nit-picky, most people believed the earth was round long before Galileo was born...Christopher Columbus knew the earth was round before he set off exploring, he wasn't a complete tool. It was well believed that the earth was round back in 600BC (in fact writings show Pythagoras proved it so!) and it was really the Catholic church that attempted to claim the earth was flat to encourage the idea of the earth being the centre of the universe.

And of course that's just an opinion as I didn't know Galileo, Pythagoras and Christopher Columbus personally... :D