Egotistical Google Experts

Anyone can disagree with anything.

Doesn't mean you are right though :)

When I google, I do try to do it in an unbiased way. It is too easy just to google facts that support your case.

Climate change has web sites with information that is very biased, on both sides, most people believe one side or the other.

We all have inbuilt bias, it could be a thread all on its own

Can you prove beyond all doubt that shoving a daffodil up your arse won't cure the cold, if not then your opinion on the matter is no more valid than the person thinking it can. ...

I can never prove beyond all doubt, because that's not how evidence works; there's always a probability that an effect is due to chance and not to the action of treatment x, but in most cases keeping that probability to less than 1% is good enough.

If you presented a solid body of valid, reliable, peer-reviewed supporting evidence published in reputable journals I'd happily acknowledge the efficacy of the daffodil-arse interaction in the treatment of the common cold. If your best evidence is 'it worked for my mate Bob after he handed over £150 to his naturopath' then I'd be equally happy to dismiss it as rubbish.

The person thinking it can obviously also can't prove beyond all doubt that it can, but that doesn't invalidate their opinion which is based on their own experience.

Experience lies. Perception is misleading. The placebo effect really does work and, in some circumstances, is very useful indeed.

I could make you swear black is white, utterly convince you that you've watched a light move on a wall in a darkened room, show you a demon's face peeking out of the trees as we drive past a woody hollow, demonstrate that an ouija board really works, convince you that the bloke who stole your wallet had blonde hair and blue eyes, and point you in the direction of someone who will talk to your dead relatives. Your own personal experience will make all those observations undeniable. You'd be wrong, of course, and, being an open-minded sort of chap, you'd probably acknowledge as such once you'd examined the evidence.

When I google, I do try to do it in an unbiased way. It is too easy just to google facts that support your case.

Climate change has web sites with information that is very biased, on both sides, most people believe one side or the other.

We all have inbuilt bias, it could be a thread all on its own

Most climate change websites are utterly hilarious. (and completely wrong as you say regardless of which side they are arguing from.)

Not just by both but those others in the debate also. It depends on the evidence and how it's presented and perceived by others also. If you present google 'evidence' that dragon slayers once existed simply because you read it in a book or online and read it as evidence, then calling that person an idiot or some such would be apt.

I'm not sure that's the best example, I might be a dragon slayer, I have the means to possibly slay a dragon but there aren't any for me to slay.

I'm not sure that's the best example, I might be a dragon slayer, I have the means to possibly slay a dragon but there aren't any for me to slay.

I've just come back from holiday in Wales. Apparently, all the dragons live there now (in the hills) according to the locals. Personally, I didn't bother going looking for any though as I'm unsure of my slaying prowess, plus the fact that I'd not taken an inexhaustable amount of underpants (or sword).

......... It is too easy just to google facts that support your case.

It is not "easy" to Google facts.

It is very easy to find bull****.

The skill, as with any sources of information, is to separate the facts from the nonsense and this usually involves following several references to get to the evidence.

Google is a wonderful tool but has to be used with care.

So what? Its the internet, we're all a bunch of chumps talking crap. None of it matters, nothing of any consequence happens. People don't come here to set about achieving Nobel prizes. Why take it so seriously? Its just tarting about on a forum?

I agree.

'certain' members want to turn forum into something its not.

How else do you think anything can be established?

If it's worth discussing and isn't entirely subjective, then points can be proven or disproven with evidence. There's really little point in talking about it otherwise.

---------- Post added 16-08-2015 at 20:57 ----------

You appear to be missing the point.

I didn't argue whether it existed or not.

I asked you how you'd prove that it was a real quote.

You not reading all the words is part of the problem.

Did you miss "for example" in that post?

You haven't explained why any discussion would be better without reference to the facts. That's your forest, go ahead and justify it, instead of missing the point and getting upset about it.

I'll ignore your silly bit of white text at the bottom.

---------- Post added 16-08-2015 at 20:58 ----------

Maybe you need a better self image.

If you come on here to discuss something, and you get corrected and the point is proven, you've learnt something. Celebrate it, instead of calling for evidence to be banned in the name of "fun".

Like I say, who made anyone else arbiter of this forum? It's totally acceptable and within forum rules to have 'subjective' views.

---------- Post added 17-08-2015 at 14:51 ----------

The Forum will always mean different things to different people.

sure, but theres a rule book including etiquette. Going above and beyond that and your station as a member is antithesis to rule book.

Unless I'm mistaken all members are considered equal?:confused:

sure, but theres a rule book including etiquette. Going above and beyond that and your station as a member is antithesis to rule book.

Unless I'm mistaken all members are considered equal?:confused:

I share your confusion with your comment. What makes you believe that I think that all members, apart from MrSmith, are not to be considered equal?