Would You Work In A Hospital Morgue?

A job that needs doing but many would be put off doing this job, a strong stomach is required as we shall call them ' customers ' we arrive in many different states. Does anyone on here work in a morgue what does it involved and how do cope doing such a job?

Edited by crookedspire

A job that needs doing but many would be but off doing this job, a strong stomach is required as we shall call them ' customers ' we arrive in many different states. Does anyone on here work in a morgue what does it involved and how do cope doing such a job?

Shouldn't this thread be in 'General Dissections'? :huh:

I don't work in the field, but if I was physically capable I wouldn't rule it out if there was a vacancy and I was in need of a job. I was considering a career in scenes of crime forensics before I got ill and my previous research job involved dissecting people shortly after death to retrieve liver tissue (with permission, of course).

Everybody deserves to be treated with respect and dignity after death because everybody is someone's child, partner, parent or loved one. The smells you get used to very rapidly, as you do if you're a surgeon operating on various smelly parts of the body.

I couldn't tell were in Sheffield the morgue's are but I should have thought that Northern General should have one. At the Chesterfield Royal Hospital the morgue is almost underground and quite high tech , the now closed Derbyshire Royal Infirmary at Derby was a bungalow type building towards the back of the grounds saying it was for a city the morgue was quite small, a viewing room, medical observation area, storage area and office .

The mortuary at the NGH is massive - I forget now how many deceased people it holds but it's hundreds I believe.

The building is very modern and state-of-the-art and is situated at the top of the Herries Road drive

I would say that to be a hospital mortician you certainly need a very strong stomach and the ability to detach yourself from the knowledge that each body has been a person and someones loved one without losing the ability to be respectful of them. I would imagine this is quite hard sometimes - especially if the deceased is a young person.

The smell would be the worst thing for me though ...............

To answer the OP's question - no I don't think I could work there - I prefer to care for patients whilst they are still alive - but each to his own I guess.

Edited by Daven

I knew people who used to work in a funeral directors, preparing bodies for burial etc. Not a job I would want, but they were very professional, (apart from a few jokes at the apprentice's expense...) and took great pride in their work.

I think we are too far removed from death these days, and want to believe it doesn't really happen, or only to other people. But it's part of the great cycle and is going to come for us all in the end. Not one person, no matter how rich or famous, has managed to avoid it since the world began. Better get used to it.

An old classmate of mine worked for the county coroner. Their facility handled finding people's next of kin, and cremation for the indigent and those whose families were unable or unwilling to make other arrangements.

She said notifying the families was the absolute worst most heart wrenching part of the job. Lots of drug and alcohol related deaths. One woman told her the last time she'd seen her brother, he stole her TV. Some crime victims, traffic accidents, etc.

I would work in a morgue. I don't know if I could keep doing it, but I'd give it a go.