Menu changes @ Lloyds No. 1

Bago

Grrr... this is a ranting thread. I don't know whether many of you visit this bar, but they've changed their menu so often, it's starting to pee me off. Big time.

Also, they no longer do my beloved dish of jumbo fish fingers as their BOGOF deal. Gutted. >.< !

I notice ppl don't go in there as often as they used to either... which is strange.

Is the menu the same as in a standard Wetherspoons?

Been to the Swim Inn a couple of times recently and they seem to have improved the choice and quality.

Not sure about fish fingers, but they do some vile Salmon and Lime fishcakes. :gag:

I think they do their steak and chips meal for 4.99 now. I don't think it's a standard Wetherspoon menu. Not that I recall seeing it in the other Wetherspoons. Then again, if they change it so often, how would I know ?! Grrr....

I've never seen fish fingers that size before, so was quite happy at discovering that deal. :D But sadly... I know they're microwaved stuff and all that, but it was still nicely done in the beginning. It's true. 3 quid for a hot meal in the city centre is not bad, right ? These days, everything is a smaller portion AND dried, or uncooked. >.< Don't u hate it when u find a nice place, and then watch it go downhill. Grr...

As a former employee if Wetherspoons, and having worked at both Lloyds and other normal branded Wetherspoon pubs, I can say that you would be surprised at how much time and preparation is required to work in a Wetherspoons kitchen.

Dont get me wrong, some of the food is just a glorified ding meal, especially the roast dinners. But then again, Sunday dinners isn't really what W'spoons are all about. If you want a proper Sunday dinner, you got to a carvery or a nice place out in the sticks. If you want a quick snack with a pint in the middle of town, you go to W'spoons.

For me, the Lloyds menu was far superior to the standard brand menu. But a massive amount of time and effort goes into both. Standards are strictly monitored through a mystery shop system (CBSM) and massive amounts of money invested to get the best advice on their menus. Top food critique (think that's how you spell it?!) Egon Ronay is one that has an influence on the menus.

Before anybody goes ranting on about my post being a "plug" for W'spoons, I'll stress that I am a FORMER employee but just wish that folk would give credit where credit's due. Far more work goes into running a W'spoons pub than the staff get credit for.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I would actually. :)

It's not the type of food, it's how fresh it came across, and how value for money it was. It pitched itself well. I've not had jumbo fish fingers the size of my hand before, and even though it's classed as 'unhealthy' food, it did have chunky flesh within that.

Do you know why I'm ranting a bit ? Maybe it is partly cos I am impressed by their selection on the menu from the beginning, but at the same time, over a period of time watch it go downhill a tad.

For me, the Lloyds menu was far superior to the standard brand menu. But a massive amount of time and effort goes into both. Standards are strictly monitored through a mystery shop system (CBSM) and massive amounts of money invested to get the best advice on their menus. Top food critique (think that's how you spell it?!) Egon Ronay is one that has an influence on the menus.

Benclements2, thanks for the informative post ! :D

The things I learn on the SF. It's interesting to read that the menu have been influenced by a foodie. It is also why we go to Lloyds' and not to the other Wetherspoons.

Archived