Dead mans handle

Ever driven a car in snow or fog? Or heavy rain?

Not conditions I'd want the engine to switch off.

Does your sat Nav need to see?

---------- Post added 19-08-2015 at 01:01 ----------

Also if you passed out at the wheel you would want it to stop the vehicle.

Even with modern cars having flippers on the steering wheel to change gears etc. You could have a simple pad on the back of the seat , that in the Unforeseen eventuality a driver slumps forward while the vehicle is in motion! it automatically applies the brake and turns the engine off.

What if the driver sneezes too hard, leans forward to look round a corner or moves out of position for any other reason? Your idea may actually cause an accident :o

Just a thought simple is always best I should patent that idea!

...maybe a little too simple

---------- Post added 19-08-2015 at 08:34 ----------

I see Medusa already beat me to it!

Does your sat Nav need to see.

Yes. If it can't see the satellites then it's not going to work. Excessive amounts of moisture in the air will stop it from doing that, as will hills, tunnels, large metal sheets nearby, other radio transmitters that overload it, the USA turning on SA, or turning GPS off, or doing system tests....

I reckon they could monitor the driver in the way they can do for people falling asleep. If someone seems to be asleep, sound the horn, or even an especially loud one inside the vehicle. If there's no response, then start to reduce engine power over several seconds and gently brake to bring the vehicle to a halt. Do not apply the steering lock.

Ok this is not dragons den… lol Lets say my hypothetical idea has a three second delay, this will allow for people that fidget , straighten their back etc etc. More than 3 seconds or so, the car will presume you have slumped forward and going to die.

Bit of a bummer if the car applies it's brakes and stops in the middle lane of a motorway.

Back to the drawing board I think.

Angel1.

Does your sat Nav need to see?.

I tend to use my eyes to look out for cars in front of me in difficult conditions :cool:

In fog / snow / heavy rain I tend to lean forward a little so my eyes are closer to the windscreen so I get a slightly better view of the road in front. Wouldn't really want my car to stop in those conditions - soon be hit from the rear.