Schoolchildren in England 'among world's unhappiest'

I know that nowadays the NHS is concerned that diabetes could bankrupt the NHS, but this is also a very worrying problem that is storing up huge problems for the future:

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/schoolchildren-in-england-among-worlds-unhappiest/ar-BBlR1Ne?ocid=iehp

I do get the distinct impression that because it is 'only mental health' then health chiefs aren't bothered. Well they should be! I wonder though is there something in the fact that because schools are under the realm of education & mental health is under the realm of health, that schools think children's health isn't their problem? I'm not saying that is the case but why does the CEO of the Children's Society say

"It is deeply worrying that children in this country are so unhappy at school compared to other countries and it is truly shocking that thousands of children are being physically and emotionally bullied, damaging their happiness".

Is the rise in distressed children down to bullying or other factors? What can be done?

I know that nowadays the NHS is concerned that diabetes could bankrupt the NHS, but this is also a very worrying problem that is storing up huge problems for the future:

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/schoolchildren-in-england-among-worlds-unhappiest/ar-BBlR1Ne?ocid=iehp

I do get the distinct impression that because it is 'only mental health' then health chiefs aren't bothered. Well they should be! I wonder though is there something in the fact that because schools are under the realm of education & mental health is under the realm of health, that schools think children's health isn't their problem? I'm not saying that is the case but why does the CEO of the Children's Society say

"It is deeply worrying that children in this country are so unhappy at school compared to other countries and it is truly shocking that thousands of children are being physically and emotionally bullied, damaging their happiness".

Is the rise in distressed children down to bullying or other factors? What can be done?

The internet- the ease of access to information (sales and adverts/poor role models); facebook; twitter; less playing and more gaming; expect more than previous generations; more spoilt than previous generations (in general); all of these promote less thinking process and also more materialistic thinking.

I'd take a bit of all of those and throw them into the mix. As for what can be done, I can't answer that because these are just my contributions, which I can only back up with what I see and hear.

The internet- the ease of access to information (sales and adverts/poor role models); facebook; twitter; less playing and more gaming; expect more than previous generations; more spoilt than previous generations (in general); all of these promote less thinking process and also more materialistic thinking.

I'd take a bit of all of those and throw them into the mix. As for what can be done, I can't answer that because these are just my contributions, which I can only back up with what I see and hear.

I agree with all of the above, but kids are also under a lot of pressure these days, and very worried about their future.

As for what can be done, well the grown ups could take back control, that would help. And kids should be made to value their education, at the moment it looks like the inmates are running the asylum...

I'm also a big fan of looking for more a spiritual, less materialistic, meaning to life. I believe that could help everyone.

I agree with all of the above, but kids are also under a lot of pressure these days, and very worried about their future.

As for what can be done, well the grown ups could take back control, that would help. And kids should be made to value their education, at the moment it looks like the inmates are running the asylum...

I'm also a big fan of looking for more a spiritual, less materialistic, meaning to life. I believe that could help everyone.

and full circle... they are under a lot of pressure today and worried about their future because of the things listed.

With modern schools more like zoos and teachers stripped of their authority, of course the bullies will thrive.

I'm sure the lefty bluestockings and social engineers will be standing around puzzling about what caused all this unhappiness, never realizing it was them.

I agree too.

When I was at school 40 years ago I was bullied and was thoroughly miserable for the entire 5 years of secondary school but no one ever asked me how I was feeling so this wasn't documented. I do not accept that kids at school today are any more miserable than I was. I was told 'it's all part of being at school' and 'ignore the bullies'. Bullying and mental health were never considered or taken seriously.

I agree too.

When I was at school 40 years ago I was bullied and was thoroughly miserable for the entire 5 years of secondary school but no one ever asked me how I was feeling so this wasn't documented. I do not accept that kids at school today are any more miserable than I was. I was told 'it's all part of being at school' and 'ignore the bullies'. Bullying and mental health were never considered or taken seriously.

To be fair neither was misogyny, bigotry, racism and child/women physical/sexual abuse....even still struggles to this day.

Couple all of the above with young people often having an overblown sense of entitlement and Bob's your brother in law.

With modern schools more like zoos and teachers stripped of their authority, of course the bullies will thrive.

I'm sure the lefty bluestockings and social engineers will be standing around puzzling about what caused all this unhappiness, never realizing it was them.

Hmmm, except for the fact that corporal punishment was abolished in the 1980s when the Thatcher and her blue rinse brigade railed against 'trendy teaching methods'. :rolleyes:

On a serious point - yes bullying, and nowadays with cyber bullying pervasive is a huge problem. I think parents need to take responsibility for how their children behave. It can't be left to the schools to parent the children.

Edited by Mister M