Schoolchildren in England 'among world's unhappiest'

It didn't take long for politics and Thatcher to get involved :hihi:

Of course politics does have an influence on schools, but I think it's the bigger picture that is more important

- IMO everyone, rich country/ poor country/ old days / nowadays / always - wants equal to, or more than they have now. This has gone on for probably as long as any form of complex life has existed.

To alter this, we would have to go back in time, and no one wants that.

We had far fewer sources at school when I went, and had a lot less money than what is considered 'poverty' by today's standard in this country, my parents and most of all your parents probably had less than you, and so on and so on.

I think you can only really miss what you've had already, hence where we are now, and it will continue. Probably the main two massive/main influences in recent life is the industrial rev, and in very recent times, the internet. The world has changed probably more in the last 200 years, than in the last 20,000.

Edited by *_ash_*
changed 'in fact' to IMO

Without reading the detail of the story, I believe it said that the unhappiness refers to when they get to high school, the second year.

My thoughts would be to blame mollycoddled kids that cannot cope with the pressures in todays Academies, and the pressure to pass exams.

They cannot even have a sneaky week off without the threat of a £120 fine.

Edited by El Cid

I know that nowadays the NHS is concerned that diabetes could bankrupt the NHS, but this is also a very worrying problem that is storing up huge problems for the future:

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/schoolchildren-in-england-among-worlds-unhappiest/ar-BBlR1Ne?ocid=iehp

I do get the distinct impression that because it is 'only mental health' then health chiefs aren't bothered. Well they should be! I wonder though is there something in the fact that because schools are under the realm of education & mental health is under the realm of health, that schools think children's health isn't their problem? I'm not saying that is the case but why does the CEO of the Children's Society say

"It is deeply worrying that children in this country are so unhappy at school compared to other countries and it is truly shocking that thousands of children are being physically and emotionally bullied, damaging their happiness".

Is the rise in distressed children down to bullying or other factors? What can be done?

Unhappy compared with when? Where's the bar?

Without reading the detail of the story, I believe it said that the unhappiness refers to when they get to high school, the second year.

My thought would be to blame mollycoddled kids that cannot cope with the pressures in todays Academies, and the pressure to pass exams.

They cannot even have a sneaky week off without the threat of a £120 fine.

I remember that 'jump'. I went from Middle school into 2nd year at Secondary, and found it quite a huge leap, academically. At middle school it was childish learning I thought, and was quite shocked when starting 2nd year. Probably took me the first couple of terms if not whole first year to adapt. (I can say this for sure as I've written diaries since 12)

---------- Post added 19-08-2015 at 21:01 ----------

Unhappy compared with when? Where's the bar?

Well precisely, like with the poverty thing I mentioned earlier, it's tough to measure. We didn't have anything like phones etc. so this is probably the first generation or perhaps two, that have had social media considered as the norm.

I know I wouldn't fancy being at school now.

I remember that 'jump'. I went from Middle school into 2nd year at Secondary, and found it quite a huge leap, academically. At middle school it was childish learning I thought, and was quite shocked when starting 2nd year. Probably took me the first couple of terms if not whole first year to adapt. (I can say this for sure as I've written diaries since 12)

---------- Post added 19-08-2015 at 21:01 ----------

Well precisely, like with the poverty thing I mentioned earlier, it's tough to measure. We didn't have anything like phones etc. so this is probably the first generation or perhaps two, that have had social media considered as the norm.

I know I wouldn't fancy being at school now.

Schools a good point. I note one/all the papers were mentioning how many graduates are in low paid jobs (a topic worthy of a thread of its own) and even 25 years ago the line at my school was "get a degree or you're nothing" (albeit worded differently). It's even worse now and all pervasive in the media too. I'd feel like I'd been sold a pup with my media studies degree from Derby uni and several thousand pound debt sat working in a call centre for £12k a year.

Compared with children from other countries.

Well that I gathered;)

Does anyone know where the full list is (Columbia is second!!! Fear of kidnap of can't have been a question asked). Rumania was top. Probably didn't include orphans in the survey then.

Edited by tinfoilhat

Schools a good point. I note one/all the papers were mentioning how many graduates are in low paid jobs (a topic worthy of a thread of its own) and even 25 years ago the line at my school was "get a degree or you're nothing" (albeit worded differently). It's even worse now and all pervasive in the media too. I'd feel like I'd been sold a pup with my media studies degree from Derby uni and several thousand pound debt sat working in a call centre for £12k a year.

Well, in the global world now, we are competing with countries like India where if they haven't got a degree of some sort, then they won't even be considered to work in a call centre (as of course you know, I'm not trying to educate you at all!, it's the others :D)

Choice in what degree one chooses should be more important than ever. I wouldn't expect anyone doing nursing type degree to not find work within the field - and if they can't then the so called 'useless-degrees' students need to start worrying, or practising on their phone manner.

Compared with children from other countries.

You mean countries where they appreciate the education they receive, if they receive any at all? Much like here 100 years ago. Things move quicker now.

They are most likely happy to have an education better than their parents. Sound familiar? It won't be 100 years before they are not only past the stage of appreciating their free education, but will be wanting posh carpets and flashy reception areas and wifi like here.

Well that I gathered;)

Does anyone know where the full list is (Columbia is second!!! Fear of kidnap of can't have been a question asked). Rumania was top. Probably didn't include orphans in the survey then.

Looking at the list, if those are the top two, then poverty stricken places value it the most. Not dissimilar to the point I made above.

Edited by *_ash_*

Well, in the global world now, we are competing with countries like India where if they haven't got a degree of some sort, then they won't even be considered to work in a call centre (as of course you know, I'm not trying to educate you at all!, it's the others :D)

Choice in what degree one chooses should be more important than ever. I wouldn't expect anyone doing nursing type degree to not find work within the field - and if they can't then the so called 'useless-degrees' students need to start worrying, or practising on their phone manner.

You mean countries where they appreciate the education they receive, if they receive any at all? Much like here 100 years ago. Things move quicker now.

They are most likely happy to have an education better than their parents. Sound familiar? It won't be 100 years before they are not only past the stage of appreciating their free education, but will be wanting posh carpets and flashy reception areas and wifi like here.

Hence my request for the full list. South Korean kids do minimum 12 hours school (plus homework etc iirc) 6 days a week. They'll be flippin good at sums but not many childhood memories outside of relentless, repetitive learning.