Woman fined nearly £300 for stealing three bottles of baby milk

You aren't really that stupid, so stop pretending to be, it's embarrassing.

---------- Post added 19-08-2015 at 11:30 ----------

Judge did wrong. Of course theft is an offence and should remain so, but if this man was stealing milk to feed his baby the judge could and should have been far more lenient.

No he shouldn't. That sends totally the wrong message-that crime can be justified by circumstance.

---------- Post added 19-08-2015 at 13:08 ----------

What's a farrari? Did you mean Ferrari?

Do you not think the welfare state is a good thing? Should we let children go hungry if their parents are poor?

The welfare state would have provided for this child. The man chose not to seek help but to steal.

What's a farrari? Did you mean Ferrari?

Do you not think the welfare state is a good thing? Should we let children go hungry if their parents are poor?

Yes, of course it's a good thing and a measure of a civilised society. However, I think some posters are merely trying to suggest that there are those in society who simply don't take any responsibility for themselves.

There are people who choose to rely on the welfare state, rather than put in the hard graft that most of us do. I'm not suggesting it's common place but it happens.

S

And no, children should not go hungry if their parents are poor. However, I'm not averse to the parents getting a bit peckish if they're feckless and lazy, rather than poor.

What gets me though - the criminal justice system comes down heavy on those who have to steal to feed their kids or themselves, yet the criminal justice system, in this country anyway, does naff all about bankers who bankrupted the system. This country is beyond a joke.

But it carries on because there are people in the working class who will blame the poor and ignore the misdeeds of the rich.

We'll be back to hanging people for stealing a loaf of bread...

Good idea. And flaying for collecting too much wood for winter fuel. And burnt at the stake for being a witch. Or drowning.

We could stone people for adultery too or being raped.

No child should suffer malnutrition as a result of being poor but I can't help thinking that learning that it is healthy to be hungry for some of the day might not go amiss in this country. It is surprising just how many poor people seem to be overweight.

I personally don't think there is enough information to second guess the judgement in this case... surely we need to know the circumstances? The Independent have decided the judgement is wrong based on a single paragraph from the Derbyshire Telegraph that only reported the crime and the sentence. What if the accused had spent his last tenner on a bottle of vodka or drugs and that's why he had to steel the baby milk? What if he is a serial shoplifter (I don't mean stealing cornflakes to go with the milk)? What if he didn't even have a baby and was stealing to sell to someone else?

I'm conflicted on this. Can't view this thread without hearing that stupid little girl on the trailer for that Anne Robinson programme on spending habits asking 'why shouldn't I have the nicer things in life, just cos I'm on benefits?'. Err.... because you're on benefits? You want nice things, go get a job you idle cow! Don't go nicking em!

But you don't want baby milk, you need baby milk... so yeah that's different. I'd be inclined to be more leniant. After all, as has already been said, if they can't afford baby milk they can't afford to pay the fine.