Money saving advice - help needed

I work part time in the front line of a large public sector organisation and may pay has been cut. As a result I will be struggling to cope / put food on the table.

With regards to this last point, I'm looking at how I can keep body & soul together on a meagre income & looking for advice from fellow forummers.

I was thinking today that there are lots of supermarkets all with different offers on. Rather than traipsing round Sheffield to each and every supermarket for the best buys, does anyone know if there is a website that gives information on how much each item costs? In that way I can visit a few supermarkets to get good deals on cheap & nutritious food.

I know that lots of supermarkets have websites that give the online price, but often these are different to the in store price.

I would be grateful for any information / advice that people may have. Genuine replies only, no sly comments please.

Hi Mister M. Sorry to hear your news. I use the mysupermarket app for iPhone. I enter my shopping list and it suggests cheaper alternatives and the cheapest supermarket. There should be a website as well. I will check.

All the best.

sorry about having pay cut :(

Have you tried late night, around 8 lots of places discount food.

i hear the market is cheap.

My OH goes around all nearby supermarkets each evening for the reduced items and we eat very well at very low cost.

All you need is a little patience, big elbows and a large car boot !

Good luck to the OP.

A big thank you to all who contributed, it's much appreciated!

One of the few plusses of winter being round the corner is that I can make casseroles. I've just been on a website that advises people on how to make them go further, just add lentils, split peas, and barley - they sell it in handy packets that are cheap too!:

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/sainsburys-price-comparison/Rice_Pulses_And_Grain/Sainsburys_Country_Soup_Mixture_500g.html

I'll try popping round to the local supermarket late, that sounds like a good idea. Possibly the nearest one for me is the big Tescos at Spital Hill - though I'm not good in big supermarkets. Anxiety gets the better of me. Although it's a 24 hour one, does anyone know what time they reduce their items?

A big thank you to all who contributed, it's much appreciated!

One of the few plusses of winter being round the corner is that I can make casseroles. I've just been on a website that advises people on how to make them go further, just add lentils, split peas, and barley - they sell it in handy packets that are cheap too!:

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/sainsburys-price-comparison/Rice_Pulses_And_Grain/Sainsburys_Country_Soup_Mixture_500g.html

I'll try popping round to the local supermarket late, that sounds like a good idea. Possibly the nearest one for me is the big Tescos at Spital Hill - though I'm not good in big supermarkets. Anxiety gets the better of me. Although it's a 24 hour one, does anyone know what time they reduce their items?

I think that sort of thing will save you more money than shopping around. A decent stew (mine I have to say are awesome) won't cost the earth - neither will salads. Any scope to grow your own stuff?

Oh yeah, and Aldi. Mega cheap and you aren't forced to buy 6 and get the 7th free sort of deal which will save you some.