Is Sheffield the 4th or 5th largest city?

John

"Oh please, not this old chestnut AGAIN ...

...Let it go, celebrate quietly and dont TELL anyone, otherwise they will all want to be here and then it will be crap "

NO! NO! and thrice NO!

It is the duty, I say, of all true citizens of Sheffield to uphold the superiority of there homeland over the pretender that is Leeds in all respects, regardless of truth, relevance or reason. If we cannot defeat them by real and meaningful facts alone, then we must make some up, bend and distort, divert attention. It is our duty, I say.

And heres one for starters - Sheffielders resent them buggers from Leeds with greater passion than they could ever muster against us.

Come on - raise the banners high, tell yours lies with pride.

Cough

Cough

Well I dont even live in South Yorkshire, as most of you have notced, let alone in Sheffield

I am probably closer to Leeds than I am to Sheffield

But personally I would rather the southern err......people.....errrr.....let us not use rude words....flock to Leeds and mess that up than they come to Sheffield.

But as a non-native I do regretfully back off and let you all choose

To be full of people from down there if that is what you want

or to be a sweet secret

You have discussed population and to some extent land boundries, but have the owned boundries been taken into account? Sheffield owns a huge portion of derbyshire, as well as having absorbed districts and villages, like stocksbridge, rotherham, and barnsley is on the verge of being taken over. So - as Sheffield boundries extend way beyond those marked on the map as being Sheffield - where would we come in the list then?

Of course - as far as I am concerned - Sheffield born and bred, as are my ancestors - Sheffield should be the Capital of Britain.

*Play patriotic music*

Nosferatu

Thanks to one of my friends who was researching information on Leeds because he has applied to University there discovered this:

Here

Bottom of the page linked above.

"In the late 20th century tourism became a major employer. The Royal Armouries museum opened in 1995. The Thackray medical museum followed in 1997. The Monet Garden in Roundhay Park was opened in 1999. Merrion Shopping Centre was built in 1964. A new shopping arcade was built in the early 1970s. It was called The Bond Street Centre. Later it was refurbished and renamed Leeds Shopping Plaza. St Johns Shopping Centre was built in 1983. White Rose Shopping Centre opened in 1997. In the early 1970s the city centre was pedestrianised. Radio Leeds began broadcasting in 1968. In 1990 the West Yorkshire Playhouse theatre opened. The Royal Armouries Museum opened in Leeds in 1996. Today the population of the metropolitan district is about 724,000. The population of the actual city of Leeds is about 421,000"

That would make Sheffield third largest city right?

Guest Mr BusDriver
Originally posted by richard

Sheffield population 530,375

Richard is that before we got all the illegal bin-lardens in Sheffield

(All of them at the 75/76 bus stop in the Markets)!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Steve Cooper

Its all a bit academic, because it won't be long before the likes of Milton Keynes, Swindon and Reading(!) overtake us all.

Aaargh no! I have had so spend too much time in Milton Keynes recently and whilst the place might be big I cannot accept it as a city. The city centre reminds me of Centertainment! And where are the pedestrians? City centres should not be car parks!

g

• 1 month later...

This article in The Star should settle all arguments about which is the biggest city:

Communities hit back .....

According to the article:

...the Sheffield Watch Association North (SWAN) covers 110,000 square miles of Sheffield and embraces 435 neighbourhood watch organisations.

Which by my calculation means that Sheffield contains the UK in its boundaries.:loopy:

Archived