Is Sheffield the 4th or 5th largest city?

John

• 4 weeks later...

Please see the SheffieldFirst Partnership website:

http://www.sheffieldfirst.net/

Sheffield is a city of more than half a million people. It lies at the southern end of England's Pennine hills, within the county of Yorkshire on its border with the forests of Nottinghamshire and the Derbyshire Dales. It is Yorkshire's second largest city after Leeds, the regional capital. Sheffield ranks as the United Kingdom's fifth largest city, but because it is a free-standing city it forms only the eighth largest conurbation.

If it is true that Leeds bloated its population figures by including small towns within it's LS postcode then Sheffield is INDEED larger than Leeds!

I think that is the case....

If we included areas within our postcode we could include most towns and villages from penistone, barsnley down to rotherham, chesterfield and villages in the peak district to dinnington and worksop. You speak to most people in Lancashire and indeed the country and ask what is the capital of yorkshire and people immediatly say "Steel City".

http://www.channel4.com/history/timeteam/2004_sheff.html#

"Built on seven hills and five rivers – the Don and its four tributaries, the Loxley, Rivelin, Porter and the Sheaf – Sheffield is the biggest city in Yorkshire and the fourth biggest in England. Its population is around 600,000"

Is it me or is anyone sick of hearing about Leeds. It is nowhere near as big as Sheffield. I work for Sheffield City Council and I know for a fact that Sheffield is the 4th Biggest City, Leeds doesn't even make the top 10.

On the news and weather, papers, radio, they are always talking about Leeds. Ok Leeds City centre is a good night out and not bad for shopping (Harvey Nich's etc), but most of Leeds is one big tip.

Originally posted by danielford99

Is it me or is anyone sick of hearing about Leeds. It is nowhere near as big as Sheffield. I work for Sheffield City Council and I know for a fact that Sheffield is the 4th Biggest City, Leeds doesn't even make the top 10.

On the news and weather, papers, radio, they are always talking about Leeds. Ok Leeds City centre is a good night out and not bad for shopping (Harvey Nich's etc), but most of Leeds is one big tip.

I can't agree more. It anooys me so much that yorkshire tv is based there so all we ever hear about is how wonderful leeds is- they are so biased when it comes to sport too- whenever united or wednesday won leeds there would be a fleeting mention and whenever leeds won it would be extended highlights!

The City of Leeds has a population of about 421,000 people. The 724,000 population figure takes in a much wider area, more than 520 sq km to be precise, which is roughly an area 24km by 24km, and you can safely say from this, that will take in towns surrounding Leeds like Dewsbury, Ossett, Garforth, Wakefield and Batley for instance, which are all separate towns and boroughs!!

Please see link for details:

http://www.leedsnet.com/gl//staticpages/index.php?page=20020905110837901

This is yet another example of Leeds cleverly marketing itself.

If Sheffield was to use it's latest population of the metropolitan district of sheffield has it's total it would be 1,0783,17 which consists of:

Sheffield - 513,234

Rotherham - 248,175

Barnsley - 218,063

Chesterfield - 98,845

Info from the National Statistics Office: http://www.statistics.gov.uk/census2001/profiles/00cg.asp

Archived