Data Protection Act - GCSE results

I have sent the school an email, I am hoping they will just inform me of the GCSE result, via email or post.

---------- Post added 20-08-2015 at 15:43 ----------

She is on holiday in Spain, not relevant.

Did you send it to the Board of Governors as per instructions?

She is on holiday in Spain, not relevant.

It is relevant, because there's a wealth of information out there about what to do if you can't collect your results in person to enable another person to collect on your behalf. Something about Assumptions and Perfect Preparation comes to mind....

It teaches her that she is getting ready to look after her own affairs. It's always been the case that GCSE and A-level exam results were for the candidate only - when my results were due I had to call the school and get them read out as we were on holiday. The school went to some lengths to ensure that it was me calling and not someone else and that was many years ago.

Really? when I got mine everyone's results were on a piece of paper stuck to the inside of a window at school...

The school in question are being typically sanctimonious and officious, as is the case with most schools. Giving a COPY of the results, not the certificates, to a parent who has had their identity confirmed against the school system would be fine. What harm could there be?

Whilst the DPA does relate to this, the actual law derives from case law, specifically Gillick competency and Fraser guidelines. Originally intended for issuing contraception to children it is now used more broadly for other types of potentially private data, such as exam results.

Students are occasionally offered contraception advice and sometimes the actual contraception without parental knowledge. What a minefield that is!

Edited by Binster