Amazon - not now thanks

Since Amazon upped the minimum spend for free postage to £20 I've almost, no sorry, I have bought nothing. Previous to which not a week went by when I wouldn't order something.

I know it's amazons way of trying to make more customers sign up for Prime, but excuse me I really don't see why I should cough up £70 quid just so I can spend my own money with them...what a cheek!!

Needless to say I've gone back to ebay sellers. Cheap as chips and free delivery!!

It must be costing Amazon a fortune in lost revenue. I've asked most of my work colleagues and all have stopped since they upped their minimum spend!

Anyone else been turned off?

It must be costing Amazon a fortune in lost revenue.

Hardly. You can be sure they know exactly what they're doing. They have analytics down to an art-form, and everything they do is part of an informed precise strategy designed to maximise long term income.

No, I just wait until I need to order slightly more.

If I get amazon prime, it'll be because I have the fire tv and I think it's much more useful if you have prime.

That's fair enough.

But I'm not the slightest interested in any of amazons "streaming" offers. I'm perfectly happy with my bt vision.

As for building up my basket - I might as well go uh from the high street. The conveiniance was click and forget - now I'll just forget!!

No skin off my nose there's less greedy sellers on ebay. I bet they've seen a surge since amazon doubled their min spend

Hardly. You can be sure they know exactly what they're doing. They have analytics down to an art-form, and everything they do is part of an informed precise strategy designed to maximise long term income.

This is mostly it, they worked out that the majority of their regular customers could be enticed into either using prime, or ordering over 20£ to make up numbers for free delivery, whilst anticipating that the lost orders from irregular customers could be caught by the upturn. Not to mention the irregulars that become regulars because they become Prime customers.

Amazon is the de-facto standard now, they can do this sort of thing, especially with some clever Hadoop (Big Data) backing up their ideas.

PS don't forget that they likely lost on orders under 20£ in value.

Having just shopped on Amazon, you still get free delivery with just a £10 purchase on books.

I have no doubt most people if their basket is just under £20 will just add a small value item to their order even if they most likely don't need anything to take it just over the £20 mark and qualify for free delivery.

I order from Amazon a lot, and Prime would probably be good value for me, but I won't sign up for it on principle, because what I think Amazon are trying to do is monopolise peoples online spending which I object to as it will squeeze smaller competitors if shoppers go to Amazon by default because of Prime membership instead of shopping around for the best deal.

Exactly!!

You've hit the nail on the head.

And as you say it would indeed put the squeeze on others mainly because " prime " customers would want their money's worth.

Seriously why would anyone sign up to pay £70 per year just so they can spend their own money. Amazon may be the biggest but doesn't mean they can dictate - look at Tesco, talk about fall from grace!!