I can't find a job in this city

Mkop

A tip from me is that you don't have to necessarily look for jobs advertised, just try dropping in on companies that may interest you.

I've set loads of people on over the years just by people doing this.

Agreed.

I have someone starting for me next week who did exactly that.

I can't stand people who whinge about not being able to find a job - 'nothing out there...' - what an utter load of tosh.

I finished university years ago now, whilst I was studying IT there I was a cleaner in a steel factory and worked evenings in an off-licence. When I left, the steel factory gave me a full time job delivery driving and doing general maintenance. During this I got myself on the books with 13 employment agencies and then left and started doing temp contract work in IT companies through them, shortly after one of the IT companies offered me a permanent position and my career has taken on from there...

A lot of students leave uni with degrees thinking this suddenly gives them the right to better jobs, or the ability to choose what they do. Nope, it doesn't work like that.

I think you grab the first job you can get, prove you are willing and build yourself a foundation and work from there.

I am looking for anything really, admin, customer service

hmmm.. skills: I have good communication skills, dealing with people is something I am good at

You need to be far more specific about your skills. Its not about what you want to do but what you CAN do.

And also i find it ludicrous that you are looking for a job/asking for advice and yet you still haven't specified what you are a graduate of! This will make a big difference! For example my employer is seeking to fill 5 vacancies (if you have the right degree & skills)

In terms of no jobs in Sheffield - couldn't disagree more.

I can't stand people who whinge about not being able to find a job - 'nothing out there...' - what an utter load of tosh.

I finished university years ago now, whilst I was studying IT there I was a cleaner in a steel factory and worked evenings in an off-licence. When I left, the steel factory gave me a full time job delivery driving and doing general maintenance. During this I got myself on the books with 13 employment agencies and then left and started doing temp contract work in IT companies through them, shortly after one of the IT companies offered me a permanent position and my career has taken on from there...

A lot of students leave uni with degrees thinking this suddenly gives them the right to better jobs, or the ability to choose what they do. Nope, it doesn't work like that.

I think you grab the first job you can get, prove you are willing and build yourself a foundation and work from there.

Couldnt agree with you more, it appears the poster thinks that he deserves a special job because he has a degree

If he went and registered with a couple of agencies he could be in an office doing some basic office work , call centre stuff with in no time.

When i came to Sheffield in the late 90's i started of doing data cleaning at Norwich union near the old safeway and then ended up getting a decent job at yorkshire cable.

As a graduate I joined a couple of temp agencies and got loads of work. I did the usual Sheffield jobs (Norwich Union, HSBC, Freemans catalogue, Telewest etc). All call centres or admin. Got offered jobs at lots of them too. Temping gave me skills, made my CV look good, and I continued throughout my Masters degree to earn some money.

Sadly you can't sit on your bum applying for jobs and expect to get anywhere. There are soooo many others out there who are actively getting whatever experience they can, they are volunteering, doing anything to stand out from the crowd, On paper, they are always going to win. Get your foot in the door by temping, or get your CV looking better by volunteering. Preferably both.

Good luck!

I am in construction and although it is probably not what the OP is interested in there is a serious labour shortage at the moment. You can't even easily recruit labourers anymore.

8 years of the credit crunch has caused many a tradesman to quit and find alternative employment with no trainees to replace them.

I suggest if the OP has people skills then register with an agency. It is a starting point, but no jobs? Think again.

As a graduate I joined a couple of temp agencies and got loads of work. I did the usual Sheffield jobs (Norwich Union, HSBC, Freemans catalogue, Telewest etc). All call centres or admin. Got offered jobs at lots of them too. Temping gave me skills, made my CV look good, and I continued throughout my Masters degree to earn some money.

Sadly you can't sit on your bum applying for jobs and expect to get anywhere. There are soooo many others out there who are actively getting whatever experience they can, they are volunteering, doing anything to stand out from the crowd, On paper, they are always going to win. Get your foot in the door by temping, or get your CV looking better by volunteering. Preferably both.

Good luck!

I was here during telewest days, good times

I was here during telewest days, good times

I got put on the Home Movers team when it was Yorkshire Cable and Telewest at the same time - all very confusing and LOADS of people angry when they couldn't keep their phone number when they moved. Very good for my CV and interviews as I could cheerfully talk about communication skills and managing difficult situations!

I got put on the Home Movers team when it was Yorkshire Cable and Telewest at the same time - all very confusing and LOADS of people angry when they couldn't keep their phone number when they moved. Very good for my CV and interviews as I could cheerfully talk about communication skills and managing difficult situations!

Yes it was interesting times, sad when they replaced the supervisors with "team managers" who were in fact pretty useless!.

Plenty of over time to be earned though ,in those days! i almost lived there!

I can't find a job in Sheffield thinking about packing my stuff up and leaving. There is a lack of jobs here I've been trying for so long to find something, the only places that interview me now are commission/ sales based jobs.

Try applying for jobs in Leeds. I used to commute regularly to Leeds and the commuter routes are good. There is a regular coach service between Sheffield and Leeds (National Express) and you can get weekly and monthly tickets.