I can't find a job in this city

Mkop

Yes it was interesting times, sad when they replaced the supervisors with "team managers" who were in fact pretty useless!.

Plenty of over time to be earned though ,in those days! i almost lived there!

Me too, temping can be great, I made loads of friends. I left there and went to Freemans to do Christmas - so many hours available, and that place had a staff shop and a swimming pool!

A tip from me is that you don't have to necessarily look for jobs advertised, just try dropping in on companies that may interest you.

I've set loads of people on over the years just by people doing this.

A good tip! but it means getting up off your backside, the job could involve bending your back and getting your hands mucky, Oops! I think I've gone too far this time, some readers will find this post shocking, disturbing and probably suffer nightmares.:hihi:

Just walking round town I often see half a dozen jobs advertised in shop windows and thats before you even start with online where most of the jobs are theses days.

If your not to fussy there are loads of jobs out there.

I am in construction and although it is probably not what the OP is interested in there is a serious labour shortage at the moment. You can't even easily recruit labourers anymore.

8 years of the credit crunch has caused many a tradesman to quit and find alternative employment with no trainees to replace them.

I suggest if the OP has people skills then register with an agency. It is a starting point, but no jobs? Think again.

Radio 4 were talking about this just the other day. A shortage of every skilled trade, which has resulted in good pay for those that can do the jobs. Not particularly helpful for a graduate without the ability to plumb or plaster though. Although as you say, he could probably labour!

Radio 4 were talking about this just the other day. A shortage of every skilled trade, which has resulted in good pay for those that can do the jobs. Not particularly helpful for a graduate without the ability to plumb or plaster though. Although as you say, he could probably labour!

That would be beneath I reckon lol

I am in construction and although it is probably not what the OP is interested in there is a serious labour shortage at the moment. You can't even easily recruit labourers anymore.

8 years of the credit crunch has caused many a tradesman to quit and find alternative employment with no trainees to replace them.

I suggest if the OP has people skills then register with an agency. It is a starting point, but no jobs? Think again.

That is so true

I was a self employed joiner for 8yrs. During which time I developed skills in areas not usually associated with joinery. Dry lining, suspended ceilings, tenon partitioning, mezzanine flooring etc etc.

The crunch came a few years back and everyone took the ****! foreign workers arrived undercutting and basically bringing a bad name to tradesmen. People fully expected me to turn up in my van with 5k worth of tools in the back and work for peanuts. The worse were the agencies....God I hate agencies! Utter parasites feeding off others sweat.

So I jacked after 3 jobs never paid and left me £2500.00 out of pocket. Sold my van, kept my tools and got a local job. Less money but a complete toss off compared to what was expected before. Funny thing is I know many who quit and now vow they'll never go back. My phone rings still after 2yrs away from my former profession, some are old contacts but most are agencies wanting to recruit.

To hell with the lot of them!

What goes around comes around

I remember being in your situation - it's awful. The way I went about it was by starting off with bar work, while doing that I applied for office jobs.

I eventually got a temp job as an administrator, which followed with several temp roles and eventually one of these companies offered me a permanent job. After that my career started moving.

Getting that first job is really tough, but keep going and just get something to pay the bills while you look :)