Sheffield Bus Partnership update

Thanks Andy

I know we all like to winge about buses but I find it really surprising that less that 3 weeks before all this happens there has not been any information on the buses I catch infact if it wasn't for this thread not sure I would know anything was changing.

Have seen minor summer timetable alterations promoted more!

As I've said before the planners haven't listened to the residents, workers etc, some of the route changes are more like they've put street names and routes into a hat and pulled them out in whatever order. I've quoted the 42 service before and on the changes it tells us that it's been partially replaced by the number 8 & 8a, excuse me for being just a idiot that lives at Frecheville but just how do the replacement routes cover our estate, they DON'T. I really don't know how much the so called route planners are paid but it's too much because a 10 yr old could have made a better job of it and if they hadn't at least they would have a excuse. Over the last month I've had the misfortune following surgery of having to use the buses all I can say of the services provided are that as they are now I can get to where I need to be, but the condition of the buses serving our routes by the First company are appalling when compared to Stagecoach. I had the misfortune to catch a single deck 42 from Peaks last week and holding on for dear life on the hand rail near the doors when the door opened my hand was trapped, and as I told the person pointing it in the approximate direction it should go he would have made a better dance instructor than bus driver, it was accelerator, brake, accelerator, brake. So I repeat my claim of previous posts a second class service supplied by a second rate company which really hasn't given any consideration to travellers needs. I worked on the buses a long time ago when you paid a fare to travel on the bus and not wanting to buy a share in the company, all these changes have really shown is that it really is all down to money.

As I've said before the planners haven't listened to the residents, workers etc, some of the route changes are more like they've put street names and routes into a hat and pulled them out in whatever order. I've quoted the 42 service before and on the changes it tells us that it's been partially replaced by the number 8 & 8a, excuse me for being just a idiot that lives at Frecheville but just how do the replacement routes cover our estate, they DON'T. I really don't know how much the so called route planners are paid but it's too much because a 10 yr old could have made a better job of it and if they hadn't at least they would have a excuse. Over the last month I've had the misfortune following surgery of having to use the buses all I can say of the services provided are that as they are now I can get to where I need to be, but the condition of the buses serving our routes by the First company are appalling when compared to Stagecoach. I had the misfortune to catch a single deck 42 from Peaks last week and holding on for dear life on the hand rail near the doors when the door opened my hand was trapped, and as I told the person pointing it in the approximate direction it should go he would have made a better dance instructor than bus driver, it was accelerator, brake, accelerator, brake. So I repeat my claim of previous posts a second class service supplied by a second rate company which really hasn't given any consideration to travellers needs. I worked on the buses a long time ago when you paid a fare to travel on the bus and not wanting to buy a share in the company, all these changes have really shown is that it really is all down to money.

You make some good points.

Some of the old single deckers that first use really are in a bad state and should have been retired ages ago.

They also seem to put a lot of them on the same routes 42 and the 85 being prime examples.

Even the old Stagecoach buses are much more comfortable to travel on.

Although I have no doubt they want to try and keep as good a service as they can there can be little doubt their main objective is saving money,the improvements they have made I suspect are on the routes that make the money which at the end of the day is what private companys are there to do while many of the other routes where there are already less busses on have been cut further particularly in the evening.

Its a vicious circle less buses mean less people use them and take the car meaning even less buses and more cars and congestion on the roads.

Really sad to see services going this way although from what I have heard we still have a better serice than other citys.

You make some good points.

Some of the old single deckers that first use really are in a bad state and should have been retired ages ago.

They also seem to put a lot of them on the same routes 42 and the 85 being prime examples.

Even the old Stagecoach buses are much more comfortable to travel on.

Although I have no doubt they want to try and keep as good a service as they can there can be little doubt their main objective is saving money,the improvements they have made I suspect are on the routes that make the money which at the end of the day is what private companys are there to do while many of the other routes where there are already less busses on have been cut further particularly in the evening.

Its a vicious circle less buses mean less people use them and take the car meaning even less buses and more cars and congestion on the roads.

Really sad to see services going this way although from what I have heard we still have a better serice than other citys.

From claims I've read on other forums, the new services reduce the number of buses on the road by enough for First to retire most of the old single deckers.

I think, Stagecoach at least, have made no secret of the fact the aim is to make the network more efficient and lower operating costs - at the moment very little profit is being made, there are more buses than demand in places and many of the fares are being kept low, with strong political pressure to keep fares that way.

It should be noted though that lower cost multi-operator tickets and wider use of smart cards comes with the new bus network, in line with the aspirations of the politicians behind the Sheffield City Region devolution.

---------- Post added 15-10-2015 at 11:02 ----------

Thanks Andy

I know we all like to winge about buses but I find it really surprising that less that 3 weeks before all this happens there has not been any information on the buses I catch infact if it wasn't for this thread not sure I would know anything was changing.

Have seen minor summer timetable alterations promoted more!

The new timetables are now all confirmed and can be downloaded from http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/futurechanges as can the new network maps.

A summary of the changes are starting to appear on City Centre bus stops and information will also be available on board buses closer to the time.

The new publicity features the new Citybus tickets offering the flexibility of any bus operator for very little more cost than operator specific tickets, however don't forget the existing Citywide tickets that also include Supertram have also been reduced in price.

So the new daily and weekly options available to buy on board

Day ticket : Operator specific £3.90, Citybus £4.00, Citywide £4.30

Weekly ticket : Operator specific £12.50, Citybus £14.00, Citywide £15.00

Edited by Andy C

The 47, 48 and 87 at the moment go along Pitsmoor Road, on to Nottingham Street and on the Rock Street before heading into Sheffield town centre. Does anyone know what number buses take over this route from the 1st November.

Rock Street will have routes 3, 83 and 83A:

route 3, operated by First: Nether Edge-City-Pitsmoor-Northern General Hospital-Firth Park-Wincobank-Meadowhall

route 83, operated by First: Bents Green-Hunters Bar-City-Firshill-Southey Green-Parson Cross-Ecclesfield

route 83A, operated by Stagecoach: Fulwood-Hunters Bar-City-Firshill-Southey Green-Parson Cross-Ecclesfield

North Sheffield network map: http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=17179873333

Edited by Andy C

I can't seem to find a bus map for the bus that goes to the Grenoside Crematorium, it's such a shame that people campaigned for this bus but no one seems to know where it's routes are so they can catch it.

Am I right in thinking it was number 92C but has now been changed to 33? But where does it start it's journey and what's it's route then people know where to catch it.