Sheffield Bus Partnership update

I love this quotation from today's Star "David Young, from the South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive said ............ people travelling to hospital via the 70 would be able to change buses without having to walk."

I love this quotation from today's Star "David Young, from the South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive said ............ people travelling to hospital via the 70 would be able to change buses without having to walk."

Not exactly god's gift to PR.

Dore's main bus in the new network will be the 81, providing a bus from Dore direct via Ecclesall Road into the City Centre and on to Stannington every 20 minutes. Those heading into town will benefit from a more frequent service and faster journey times.

As well as the 81, at peak times there will be a bus running the route of the current 70 from Dore to Hallamshire Hospital and University of Sheffield.

During the daytime off-peak, route 272 will be diverted via Brocco Bank and Hallamshire Hospital, continuing to provide a link to the hospital from Dore Moor, Whirlow and Ecclesall.

Additionally bus 80 will run during the daytime from Millhouses Tesco into the City Centre via Carterknowle Road, Hunters Bar and Hallamshire Hospital.

Passengers from Dore village requiring Hallamshire Hospital or University in the daytime can change from the 81 onto the 80 or 272 quite easily at any of the bus stops around Endcliffe Park.

So what he meant was you won't have to walk to a different stop to make the connection.

Without printed timetables it's going to be a bit chaotic. SYPTE's website crashed when everyone was trying to get child passes for the new school year, it regularly crashes during snowy weather when people are seeking updates... If it's the only source of timetable info when the numbers and routes all change, it doesn't stand a chance! Maybe local businesses could "sponsor" printed timetables in exchange for advertising? There's a group trying to boost the city centre, I wonder if they might consider it?

Without printed timetables it's going to be a bit chaotic. SYPTE's website crashed when everyone was trying to get child passes for the new school year, it regularly crashes during snowy weather when people are seeking updates... If it's the only source of timetable info when the numbers and routes all change, it doesn't stand a chance! Maybe local businesses could "sponsor" printed timetables in exchange for advertising? There's a group trying to boost the city centre, I wonder if they might consider it?

I thought everyone came here for bus times

Guest busdriver1

All bus companies using bus stations pay a departure charge, part of that charge goes to pay for printed timetables. The bus companies are still paying that charge. There is also a levy on any PTE tickets - Travelmaster, citywide, etc., etc. PTE are withholding B.S.O.G. Money and allegedly using it to fund improvements to services. So the PTE is richer, the operators are poorer and the bus companies are expected to provide their own printed timetables?

I think there needs to be an in depth investigation into the PTE's activities. I suspect that Rotherham council were more fit for purpose.

At the moment all the detail we have is the original new network proposal and a summary of most of the amendments to the proposal, the amended proposal is what was accepted and is being implemented on 1st November.

Which operator is running each service will become clearer as operators submit registrations to VOSA (you can look out for them here: http://www.tan.gov.uk/tanen/vosa_selfserviceopbusregsearch_new.asp), beyond that we will find out the details once the publicity including route maps and timetables is published.

An another note, obviously this is all about buses but it shouldn't be forgotten that Supertram operate a high frequency service on the corridors to Hillsborough, Meadowhall and Halfway and accept the Citywide tickets and there is a view being taken that it is a waste of resources running buses that duplicates the tram service.

Edited by Andy C

All bus companies using bus stations pay a departure charge, part of that charge goes to pay for printed timetables. The bus companies are still paying that charge. There is also a levy on any PTE tickets - Travelmaster, citywide, etc., etc. PTE are withholding B.S.O.G. Money and allegedly using it to fund improvements to services. So the PTE is richer, the operators are poorer and the bus companies are expected to provide their own printed timetables?

I think there needs to be an in depth investigation into the PTE's activities. I suspect that Rotherham council were more fit for purpose.

Bus companies world wide promote and produce fare structures to attract passenger revenue.

Bus companies globally print and distribute their own timetables.

UKBus show increasing profits for First but still way down on Stagecoach bus who have a margin of profit of 15% at £77million. Both forecast continuing improvement. Both resent local authority or PTE intervention.

PTEs have a limited and reducing year on year grant. They have increasing statutory costs with means less money available for concessions and support for rural and late/early services.

The PTEs have to negotiate with increasingly with powerful monopolies billionaires like Souters' Stagecoach, who is often quoted as saying that northeners are "the beer-drinking, chip-eating, council house-dwelling, old Labour-voting masses."

I am not sure what image is being promoted when linking Rotherham Council /"not fit for purpose" over the way it handled child sexual exploitation cases and our PTE.

The share value of First over the last few years perhaps?