Where's the racket coming from?

Well I did only say "I think". Do you think I'm always correct or something?

I'm still not sure if you really have a point, maybe SCORING a point was what you wanted to do, rather than MAKING a point.

The noise was unacceptable. Lots of people phoned the police about it. You and a couple of other people out of dozens posting on this thread have claimed it was okay.

It probably was from Bakewell though, where it didn't affect you.

---------- Post added 26-08-2015 at 10:58 ----------

I know more now about the EPA and noise abatement orders though. Learn something new everyday.

The noise certainly was unacceptable ! :rant:

The reality is that the site never gets left in the condition it was found in though, especially when the turnout is high. I can safely say that from experience.

When people are young they have this ideological delusion that raves in the countryside are a way of life and have no moral downside, I was once of that opinion myself. But the reality is very, very different. There are numerous very weird things that go on, that in the context of a normal social environment would be frowned upon for good reason. The ideology of freedom from the civilised state is a very enticing thing from a purists' perspective - but when implemented, the reality is very different. There is a reason humanity has developed into a civilised structure with the basic moral rules that we have. It's frustrating when we feel constrained by it, but it's important to protect everyone equally.

Just to clairfy, my previous posts were sarcastic. But this one is not.

Just to add I've not been to a rave in about 15 years...I just believe that there must be room for *most* people to be allowed to do what they like within certain boundaries. Having a rave in a city centre is NOT within those boundaries but having a rave a few miles from the nearest village probably is. There is always an argument about damage to the site that should be taken into consideration, but look at the mess caused by people on West Street. Neither should happen but it's not necessarily enough to stop the raves. As with most things, if there was an easy answer it would have been taken by now.

Just to add, with a large number of people working on shifts and therefore needing to sleep through the day, why do we have noise (nuisance) laws that only cover 11pm-7am?

Edited by sgtkate

Just to add I've not been to a rave in about 15 years...I just believe that there must be room for *most* people to be allowed to do what they like within certain boundaries. Having a rave in a city centre is NOT within those boundaries but having a rave a few miles from the nearest village probably is. There is always an argument about damage to the site that should be taken into consideration, but look at the mess caused by people on West Street. Neither should happen but it's not necessarily enough to stop the raves. As with most things, if there was an easy answer it would have been taken by now.

Just to add, with a large number of people working on shifts and therefore needing to sleep through the day, why do we have noise (nuisance) laws that only cover 11pm-7am?

Agree with you totally here.

Having been a night shift worker for 11 years in the past I believe that lawn mowers, strimmers and children should be banned from gardens between the hours of 8am and 4pm - especially in hot weather where it is impossible to sleep without a window being open.

And before someone suggests wearing ear plugs - have you ever tried sleeping for more than a few hours with ear plugs in - they hurt !

Rant over !:)

We have someone living next to us that works different shift patterns, I wouldn't dream of doing garden maintenance or anything that made a lot of noise when he's working lates, it's called being considerate his mum always tells me what shifts he's on.

I also know a youngish couple with kids, who think nothing of getting tanked up over long weekends and partying outside until the smal hours they can be argumentative with anyone once they've had a few and encourage their dog to bark, I'm so glad I don't live near them, I can tell when this has gone off as the kids don't go to school the Monday and the family look like zombies when they do rise from their pits.

Too them its a been a right good un.

My neighbour once thought it would be ok to start demolishing a wall in the garden just under my bedroom window !

He stopped when I opened my window and asked him if he would like one of his family members being cared for by a nurse who hadn't had any sleep.

That did the trick !

Never cross Daven when she is on nights - NEVER a good idea:mad:

Working nights is a difficult one. In that situation you couldn't expect the guy to demolish the wall in the night when you weren't sleeping... So it comes down to courtesy, it's not illegal to do necessary work in the day, like cutting hedges and doing building work, it's the most sensible time to do these things.

---------- Post added 27-08-2015 at 10:01 ----------

Because the vast majority of people do work during the day. And that means that all the noise making activities of the normal day have to take place during daylight hours.

I can hear a hedge being trimmed from here, yesterday the council cut the verges and I thought a helicopter was landing in the street (until I looked).

It's unfortunate if you work nights, but I don't see how it could be avoided without causing a nuisance to more people.

Working nights is a difficult one. In that situation you couldn't expect the guy to demolish the wall in the night when you weren't sleeping... So it comes down to courtesy, it's not illegal to do necessary work in the day, like cutting hedges and doing building work, it's the most sensible time to do these things.

---------- Post added 27-08-2015 at 10:01 ----------

Because the vast majority of people do work during the day. And that means that all the noise making activities of the normal day have to take place during daylight hours.

I can hear a hedge being trimmed from here, yesterday the council cut the verges and I thought a helicopter was landing in the street (until I looked).

It's unfortunate if you work nights, but I don't see how it could be avoided without causing a nuisance to more people.

I was just trying to make the point that almost anything can be a nuisance to someone else and EVERYONE should be considerate of others, both those wanting to make noise and those who wish for peace.

Is going to get noisy again this weekend - a rave is planned for Greno woods.

Well hopefully the police can find this one and shut it down after 11pm.

Well, they will "maintain a police presence" like they did last weekend - ie just stand around and watch.

These days there aren't enough coppers on a regular shift to deal with this sort of thing.

I was just trying to make the point that almost anything can be a nuisance to someone else and EVERYONE should be considerate of others, both those wanting to make noise and those who wish for peace.

And it's a valid point.

Excessive noise at night is more of a nuisance than during the day though (to more people anyway), and is specifically covered under the environmental protection act.