Tuition fees/loans should be scrapped

Will they ditch tuition fees?

The current university funding system is unsustainable because of the high number of students who will never be able to afford to pay off their loans after graduating, according to a major new report.

George Osborne recently made the problem worse by scrapping grants and replacing them with loans, adding more debt which may not be repaid.

But maybe that is good for poorer students, just take the loans and dont repay them.

Listen I made my money the best, fastest way, NO UNI. However my understanding is after they get a job earning x amount they pay it back. You pay nothing back until you earn x amount.

---------- Post added 24-08-2015 at 01:45 ----------

If they can not pay it they simply don’t pay it?!?!? If they get a great job they pay it back!!!

Listen I made my money the best, fastest way, NO UNI. However my understanding is after they get a job earning x amount they pay it back. You pay nothing back until you earn x amount.

---------- Post added 24-08-2015 at 01:45 ----------

If they can not pay it they simply don’t pay it?!?!? If they get a great job they pay it back!!!

On a 35k job its over 100 per month.

On a 35k job its over 100 per month.

Which is fine, I never understand the issue with fees, Universities cost money, teaching costs money, someone has to pay, why not those that benefit most from it? if they can't afford to pay it back over time. The state pays, fair dinkum.

What is more, before the current system going to Uni cost a hell of a lot already, the new system has enabled those from lower income backgrounds to go as well, participation is up, as was predicted, that should say something!

Which is fine, I never understand the issue with fees, Universities cost money, teaching costs money, someone has to pay, why not those that benefit most from it? if they can't afford to pay it back over time. The state pays, fair dinkum.

What is more, before the current system going to Uni cost a hell of a lot already, the new system has enabled those from lower income backgrounds to go as well, participation is up, as was predicted, that should say something!

be nice to graduate without so much debt though.

How did universities operate pre-fees etc?

They got paid directly by the government. But that was at a time when far fewer people went to university. Now over half of school leavers want to go so a free system is unsustainable. Besides, do you really think that it is fair to ask someone who never went to University, and has no kids that are going to go, to pay for your education in the form of increased taxes?

---------- Post added 24-08-2015 at 08:51 ----------

Listen I made my money the best, fastest way, NO UNI.

And that is also fine. The Governement says thay are committed to introducing 3m new apprenticeships as a real alternative to going to Uni. But even so the number of Uni applications was at a record high.

Edited by DnAuK

We sent a far smaller fraction of people to university. Should we go back to that?

As already pointed out, the debt is on very generous and forgiving terms. People only pay back what they can afford when they can afford it.

It's essentially a graduate tax. I don't think it even shows up on one's credit rating.

Edited by unbeliever

Rich middle class parents?

Not necessarily, students from poor families, usually working class would get grants from the council. They would have needed very good A level results and far less people would have applied back then.

---------- Post added 24-08-2015 at 11:13 ----------

We sent a far smaller fraction of people to university. Should we go back to that?

As has been previously said many university graduates end up in jobs that dont require even an 'A' level, so perhaps too many ARE going to university