Tuition fees/loans should be scrapped

I don't think that one was real.

A level 'general studies' -mmmmm....

---------- Post added 24-08-2015 at 15:29 ----------

anything that really has no application in the real world should be cut IMHO. Degrees are too expensive to chuff about for 3 years and have nothing to show for it.

A level 'general studies' -mmmmm....

---------- Post added 24-08-2015 at 15:29 ----------

anything that really has no application in the real world should be cut IMHO. Degrees are too expensive to chuff about for 3 years and have nothing to show for it.

Usually 4 years these days.

I wouldn't go so far as to cut it. If the student is financing themselves completely (even if with loans) then there's no harm done. As long as the students are made fully aware that they'll be 4 years older, owe a lot of money, and if anything they'll have reduced their earning power.

According to google it was module on a degree course at Staffordshire university.

I thought it was something like that but I couldn't remember the details.

A module is a long way short of a full degree on the subject, but I suppose it's still illustrative of a system of supposed education which is of little or no practical value.

---------- Post added 24-08-2015 at 15:35 ----------

It is a complete waste of time and money over educating 50% of people attending Universities!

Clearly the optimum is above 5% as it was a couple of generations ago.

Still you may be right that 50% is too high. I honestly think 50% is probably nearer the ideal than 5%, but we really need to get the bulk of them studying things which are genuinely and practically useful.

I thought it was something like that but I couldn't remember the details.

A module is a long way short of a full degree on the subject, but I suppose it's still illustrative of a system of supposed education which is of little or no practical value.

---------- Post added 24-08-2015 at 15:35 ----------

Clearly the optimum is above 5% as it was a couple of generations ago.

Still you may be right that 50% is too high. I honestly think 50% is probably nearer the ideal than 5%, but we really need to get the bulk of them studying things which are genuinely and practically useful.

Exactly. Are the Chinese doing degrees in Klingon or media studies? No they are not.

shoudn't we encourage people to seek 'alternative' ways of studying?....a typical degree is not the be all and and all.

Some of the big Universities in America are offering degrees online. One fella spent 2 grand, got an MIT degree in one year, online learning - job done!

shoudn't we encourage people to seek 'alternative' ways of studying?....a typical degree is not the be all and and all.

Some of the big Universities in America are offering degrees online. One fella spent 2 grand, got an MIT degree in one year, online learning - job done!

Aren't we already doing that? There's an awful lot of distance learning available in the UK.

Haven't you heard of the OU?