The next Tory recession?

Damian McBride appeared to suggest that the stock market dip could lead to civil disorder or other situations where it would be unreasonable for someone to leave the house.

Damian McBride was supposed to set up "Red Rag", a left wing version of Guido Fawke's web site. It didn't end well.

The Red Rag blogsite was at the centre of a UK political scandal that became known as smeargate. The scandal broke on 11 April 2009 when it was reported by the Daily Telegraph that Gordon Brown's special adviser, Damian McBride, had sent a series of emails to left wing political blogger Derek Draper discussing plans to set up the blog which would be used to post false rumours about the private lives of senior members of the Conservative Party and their spouses.

LINK

The 80s too!

nope they inherited that from Labour. Although Labour did try to turn the OPEC price shock round and came up with the first set of proto-Thatcherite policies in the mid 70s in response, it wasn't enough and it took a proper Tory government, i.e. more than just Denis Healey, to turn the economy round in the 1980s.

Labour were so incredibly lucky to inherit a sound economy in 1997. Most incoming governments, inherit bad economic situations - that is why they got elected in the first place. 1997 isn't going to happen again.

Weren't there a couple in the 1980s? One around the Falklands War, and one after the big crash in 1987?

Didnt the pundits say that the Tories only won the election because of the pro-war effect; my memory could well be forgetting loads of stuff ;)

nope they inherited that from Labour. Although Labour did try to turn the OPEC price shock round and came up with the first set of proto-Thatcherite policies in the mid 70s in response, it wasn't enough and it took a proper Tory government, i.e. more than just Denis Healey, to turn the economy round in the 1980s.

Labour were so incredibly lucky to inherit a sound economy in 1997. Most incoming governments, inherit bad economic situations - that is why they got elected in the first place. 1997 isn't going to happen again.

The recession started in 1980 almost a full year after the Tories gained power

A former adviser to Gordon Brown has urged people to stock up on canned goods and bottled water as stock markets around the world slide.

Damian McBride appeared to suggest that the stock market dip could lead to civil disorder or other situations where it would be unreasonable for someone to leave the house. I am going to the shops now, hope I beat the rush.

Brown and McBride, both failed completely in their previous "jobs" and you would take notice of them both. If they were sewn together it's doubtful they would have the brain of a single plankton.

Anyhow, thanks for posting it's the best laugh I have had all day.

Angel1, Nige supporter.

I suspect that we're the ones who will be doing the regretting. See my sig

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion.

Not only pumped up by borrowing, but pumped up by QE too.

It's on Osborne's watch just like 2008 was on Brown's watch.

If its handled badly he's to blame.

He's probably gonna regret doubling the national debt pretty soon, after 5 years of spending money like it grew on trees.

Reckoning time.

China didn't go tits up on Brown's watch, Britain did. The FTSE is up this morning so it look slike Osborne is doing a grand job.

FTSE 100 jumps as Asian markets fall again http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/business-34005709

Edited by Eric Arthur