Client who uses every excuse under the sun not to pay!

It's getting to the crux because they've requested more work. Essentially on tick

They now have to pay what's due before we will even consider doing more work.

I will know very soon what's happening in terms of dates. An email is due and a scheduled phone call.

The excuses range from

Ignoring emails

Being evasive like deflecting the question

Cash flow

Family issues, this was once and I ignored it was so stupid

Claiming poverty

Send invoices to my accountant

Stalling by questioning every item on billing

Questioning original agreement

We get everything on paper so there is no escape!

But a bird in the hand and all that....

There is issues with the business. I don't want any nasty surprises and to find out I win a money claim, but get zilch

It's getting to the crux because they've requested more work. Essentially on tick

I will know very soon what's happening in terms of dates. An email is due and a scheduled phone call.

The excuses range from

Ignoring emails

Cash flow

Claiming poverty

There is issues with the business. I don't want any nasty surprises and to find out I win a money claim, but get zilch

I see.

You are right to withhold a service if you aren't been paid but do you have a contract with them that states when payment should be?

It sounds to me (and probably others) that you should walk away when you've got payment.

You don't have to walk away. Obtain payment up front.

Excuses we have been given for clients on 30 days net terms:

only work part time

holiday

forgot

overlooked

cash flow problems

someone off sick

didn't receive invoice and statement

We send all invoices on email so they can't claim they haven't received them.

One company used to always have an excuse. They often blamed they company they sub contracted invoicing to. Everyone and their granny had to okay the invoice even though it was given a purchase order and a regular job with an email request for the collection to prove we had been asked to provide the service. We still surcharged them.

only work part time

holiday

forgot

overlooked

cash flow problems

someone off sick

I agree with everything you sat Cheryl, but one exception. 'Holiday', 'forgot', 'overlooked', 'someone off sick', 'didn't receive invoice' are normally the excuses given for the underlying problem; cash flow.

Cash flow is normally at the heart of the issue. I wish clients would just be honest about it. When we have had difficulties, I have always informed my suppliers before the due date. You normally get a very good reaction to this; it's when you do not know, that causes the grief!

The excuses range from

Ignoring emails

Cash flow

Claiming poverty

sounds like they are using you as cheap borrowing, is the debt more than £750? if so issue a stat demand if that has no result then you probably will never get paid, in future a payment up front initially i learnt that lesson the hard way a few years ago, good luck

made headway this morning.

following a demand I was paid some of the due invoices with a promise on remaining overdue Invoices in 1 week.

All other due dates (in future) they claim are uneffected and will be adhered to.

Its all on paper.

---------- Post added 02-09-2015 at 11:21 ----------

sounds like they are using you as cheap borrowing, is the debt more than £750? if so issue a stat demand if that has no result then you probably will never get paid, in future a payment up front initially i learnt that lesson the hard way a few years ago, good luck

Yes mate, its more. Too much just to 'write off'.

I dont doubt that. Its not a nice feeling to be taken for a ride, ive learnt lessons.

---------- Post added 02-09-2015 at 11:25 ----------

I agree with everything you sat Cheryl, but one exception. 'Holiday', 'forgot', 'overlooked', 'someone off sick', 'didn't receive invoice' are normally the excuses given for the underlying problem; cash flow.

Cash flow is normally at the heart of the issue. I wish clients would just be honest about it. When we have had difficulties, I have always informed my suppliers before the due date. You normally get a very good reaction to this; it's when you do not know, that causes the grief!

Thats the bit i dislike about all this...its hard to build a relationship if a client is not negotiating, misses dates and keeps quiet.

I guess its embarassing to admit cash flow problems.

Name them and shame them on facebook/twitter. No room in business for people who are irresponsible and won't communicate!

I wont be doing that. Its unprofessional.

---------- Post added 02-09-2015 at 11:27 ----------

only work part time

holiday

forgot

overlooked

cash flow problems

someone off sick

We send all invoices on email so they can't claim they haven't received them.

One company used to always have an excuse. They often blamed they company they sub contracted invoicing to. Everyone and their granny had to okay the invoice even though it was given a purchase order and a regular job with an email request for the collection to prove we had been asked to provide the service. We still surcharged them.

Insanely good advice here. we will become much tougher on surcharging.

made headway this morning.

following a demand I was paid some of the due invoices with a promise on remaining overdue Invoices in 1 week.

All other due dates (in future) they claim are uneffected and will be adhered to.

Its all on paper.

---------- Post added 02-09-2015 at 11:21 ----------

Yes mate, its more. Too much just to 'write off'.

I dont doubt that. Its not a nice feeling to be taken for a ride, ive learnt lessons.

Thats the bit i dislike about all this...its hard to build a relationship if a client is not negotiating, misses dates and keeps quiet.

I guess its embarassing to admit cash flow problems.

I wont be doing that. Its unprofessional.

Well if it's on paper it must be true!

Get the money up front for the next job. If they really want it they'll pay for it.

Well if it's on paper it must be true!

Get the money up front for the next job. If they really want it they'll pay for it.

Its some fallback...going by this clients sketchy record I am not 100% confident.

Thanks for the tip.